PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   To Stroke or not to Stroke, that is the ????? HELP! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/stroke-not-stroke-help-538212/)

1999Firehawkls7 06-18-2015 01:39 AM

To Stroke or not to Stroke, that is the ????? HELP!

While attempting to Cam my 03 SS AWD Silverado I snapped the ARP Balancer Bolt on removal......it didnt make it all the way out, about 65% is still in the crank which the machine shop MAY be able to remove.

Pulled Engine and ripped it down to a Bare Block n Crank

Piston side skirts are worn, everything else looks fine.

So now Im thinking if Im going to rebuilt this thing w new rings and bearings threw out and buy a set of Pistons should i just bite the bullet and order a 408 stroker kit and be done w it....

Main Concern and reason for post, I already have bought 8.1l Truck injectors (not Marines)

7.4'' TSP Push Rods already in

Cam is NIB and its a 217/217 .617/.617 114+5 (Set up to run w Stock Converter)

255lph Fuel Pump already installed in truck

LT's on the way No Cats

IF I stroke this set up will I have enough injectors w the 8.1l's..?????

and will the Cam I have work w a 408 Set up?

SlowDude 06-18-2015 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1999Firehawkls7 (Post 5296913)
While attempting to Cam my 03 SS AWD Silverado I snapped the ARP Balancer Bolt on removal......it didnt make it all the way out, about 65% is still in the crank which the machine shop MAY be able to remove.

Pulled Engine and ripped it down to a Bare Block n Crank

Piston side skirts are worn, everything else looks fine.

So now Im thinking if Im going to rebuilt this thing w new rings and bearings threw out and buy a set of Pistons should i just bite the bullet and order a 408 stroker kit and be done w it....

Main Concern and reason for post, I already have bought 8.1l Truck injectors (not Marines)

7.4'' TSP Push Rods already in

Cam is NIB and its a 217/217 .617/.617 114+5 (Set up to run w Stock Converter)

255lph Fuel Pump already installed in truck

LT's on the way No Cats

IF I stroke this set up will I have enough injectors w the 8.1l's..?????

and will the Cam I have work w a 408 Set up?

Holy cow man... How did you snap that big Ass bolt??? I would have went with the marine 8.1 injectors to be safe. I have them and no where near full buty cycle. Cam is kinda smallish for my taste for a 408.

Atomic 06-18-2015 07:55 AM

Are you just going for an NA build? If so, you will probably be fine with what you already have.

TheAutumnWind 06-18-2015 08:05 PM

Do it. You know you want to. At this point if you don't you'll be kicking yourself later.

1999Firehawkls7 06-24-2015 11:28 PM

Well I called Scoggin Dicky and they got my Money on a Brand New Short Block for a deal!
GenIV 6.0 Block, Bored out and loaded w L92 Pistons and Rods
Shipped to my Door w All the Gen IV Conversion Plates and harnesses for $2300 area

My old LQ9 will be fixed and going in my S10!!

Now my SS is Awd so which headers to go with.....

1999Firehawkls7 06-24-2015 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by SlowDude (Post 5296927)
Holy cow man... How did you snap that big Ass bolt??? I would have went with the marine 8.1 injectors to be safe. I have them and no where near full buty cycle. Cam is kinda smallish for my taste for a 408.

Well I always used Red Loctite on Balancer Bolts on all my LSX Builds and done plenty of them after seeing a few back out w Blue Loctite and Trq to 240ft lbs (Or whatever the GM Spec is for that, I could be off, my notes are in the shop)

Used Red and NEVER had an issue backing the bolts out

This is the first time I've used an ARP Bolt w a stock GM Balancer and herd that the ARP is a touch longer and not supposed to be used a a stock balancer....

This is just from what Ive read online and kinda call BS but i dont know for sure

NOW I backed mine out w the impact and she stopped dead after backing out only an inch.....Tried to run it back in and only went 1/2" and wouldnt re tighten.....

Buddy looked at me and said "breaker bar?!?!"
I knew this was gonna end bad and w the Engine having 185k on it I said screw it, if it breaks I'm pulling it out for a freshening up...

So 1/2 Drive Breaker Bar w my Floor Jack Handle and she back out some more and than came the busted knuckles, blood, and a broken ARP "reusable" bolt lol

ARP was cool enough to tell me they would send me another bolt for my troubles but i haven't seen it yet....

Either way i wont be using there bolt again unless its for a high HP build and a ATI Balancer

Nothing against ARP, shit happens!

SlowDude 06-26-2015 10:26 PM

Wow.. did not know this. I have never broke any ARP stuff. Glad Im using the SLP 25% under driven balacer. I have to admit, torque that bad boy to spec is a big pita!

Velocity1 06-27-2015 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by SlowDude (Post 5298511)
Wow.. did not know this. I have never broke any ARP stuff. Glad Im using the SLP 25% under driven balacer. I have to admit, torque that bad boy to spec is a big pita!

3 grown men and a breaker bar and jack handle achieved the ARP spec 240 lb/ft. Was the ARP bolt threads and underside of the 12 point head lubed with the AR
P lube when it was originally installed? I'm sure at 240 there's a hell of a pre- load, (bolt streatch going on) and threads pulling to the point of galling. Never heard of one breaking on the way out, but I do heat mine with a localized propane torch just in case the guy before me went crazy with locktite.

mikeyjm1 08-28-2015 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1999Firehawkls7 (Post 5298121)
Now my SS is Awd so which headers to go with.....

I have Kooks 1.75" headers and catted Y for a 4wheel drive and the fit is perfect.

Check my signature, I'm running same SSS AWD drivetrain.