PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Silverado SS ????? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/silverado-ss-331927/)

prtofcali 06-04-2005 11:18 PM

Silverado SS ?????

For all the silverado owners or anyone that can help out.

1. What is your oil pressure at idle and cruising at normal temp.?

2. The part number for the oil filter that the dealer gave me was a P46 and the filter that was on the truck already was a P44. :confused: Brand new truck first oil change. Is that how the dealer knows if you have changed the filter?? It fit perfect just concerned why the different part #. She said that it was the same filter that fits other engines. Was she right?? Do we have a specific part number??

3. Last thing, when I took off the drain plug I noticed a bunch of gunk, (maybe metal),stuck to the tip of the bolt. Was that the metal shavings from the new engine?? I was told that you get metal shavings as the engine is being broken in.

Thanks .........

SSlow 4.8 06-04-2005 11:26 PM

I dont want to shoot you some random oil pressure numbers bc I have a 4.8 and idk what you have.. but in MY truck idle is at like >40 or so... and crusing at 70 at 190* is like 45.

Idk about the oil filter.. just let them look it up at an autoparts store...

The gunk may be the lock tite they put on the bolts or it may be metal shavings.. but ive never heard of that.

Hope this helps :D

Leroy_454 06-04-2005 11:29 PM

My truck came with the PF44 as well. The place I get oil filters said it was a discontinued number and sold me the PF46's.

prtofcali 06-04-2005 11:35 PM

That makes me feel a little better. Just curious because the truck is an 05. Discontinued already?? I guess they were out for a while then.

Leroy_454 06-05-2005 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by prtofcali
That makes me feel a little better. Just curious because the truck is an 05. Discontinued already?? I guess they were out for a while then.

Ya, I found it strange, but i never worried about it. The only visible difference i could see between the two filters was the PF46 looked to have more threads on the top than the PF44. The dimensions looked the same.

I also noticed some metallic looking gunk on my drain plug magnet when i changed my oil the first time. It is just part of the break in procedure. I just rolled over 20,000 miles and no problems at all.

Coban 06-05-2005 12:32 AM

there is also a pf58 or 59 that is the same thread size but longer. Our 02 sub can take the pf46 or pf58/9 so the rest of the engines can too. Check it out.

mattrem 06-05-2005 06:51 AM

Mine idles at 39-40 psi, I am really not sure on the cruising maybe 58-60 psi.

I use the longer filter, I use a K&N 2006HP. I am not familar with the AC Delco. I know that the corvette guys swear by the AC gold filters, but I think they have been discontinued.

The junk on the plug is just from break in. I had the same thing after my first oil change. It will get clean after the first 2 or 3 oil changes. Nothing to worry about.

03NHSilvy 06-05-2005 10:35 AM

I asked the dealer, because my 03 called for a Pf44 in the manual, and the parts guy said the 44 was no longer made and thr PF46 is fine

prtofcali 06-05-2005 12:27 PM

Perfect guys, thanks. I wll be able to sleep better now knowing that. It just bugged me a little cuz the trck is new and I freak out over every little thing.