Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

RPMSpeed 4 ls engine test for 2018

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Few parts for the 243 heads and 333 ls2 (2 pics each)
1.571 LEADFOOT exhaust valves
View this post on Instagram

N Motion 7240C billet timing set with German IWIS N chain.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdwE8eyBG3D/
Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

If you wanna take the engine to 7300 with beehives and LS7 lifters reliably you are really restricting cam lobe options IMO with those choices. Why not better lifters and a dual spring? Your going to have to keep the lift down, and given the rpm range your shooting for that’s not going to help. Sorry I’ve seen too many LS7 Issues over the years to be a fan of them. Just adding another perspective.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Just seeing this thread now.

Cool testing. It's going to be interesting!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
If you wanna take the engine to 7300 with beehives and LS7 lifters reliably you are really restricting cam lobe options IMO with those choices. Why not better lifters and a dual spring? Your going to have to keep the lift down, and given the rpm range your shooting for that’s not going to help. Sorry I’ve seen too many LS7 Issues over the years to be a fan of them. Just adding another perspective.
Limiting lift with beehives isnt entirely true. There are beehives that will go to .700 lift. The pac1219x is rated to .625 and either those or the Manley 221438 which will go to .650 lift. I thought i updated that. The ls7 engine itself has no issue going to 7k with stock style beehives and ls7 lifters though.
The ls2 333 will be using the morel 6405. Plans changed a little on that one. It will also be using an 11/32 pushrod.
I was originally trying to test them all the same and just show the differences between them, but the 333 just isnt made to be a "truck engine" really so i am allowing the beast to evolve so to speak. We are designing a custom lobe set from scratch for it. It will be solely designed for high rpm "screamers" so to speak. Depending on how flow results come out, it will either use our ported DLS2 or the ported dorman DLST truck intake.
It will still use our set of new 243/799 heads with our LEADFOOT 2.000/1.571 valves. I know it would benefit from a 2.020 just on the fence about it...but it may happen.
We are open to input and comments though also.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Just curious. No way I would run a beehive at .700 lift regardless where it was rated. .7 is asking a lot for a hyd roller. Rating a spring at a specific lift is fine and all but an aggressive lobe is gonna effect the point at which valve float occurs. When I said limiting lift I didn’t mean due to peak ratings as much as to maintain stability.

Again, creating conversation.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Truck Sponsor

Im sure spring companies know more than us combined. Esp PAC. I trust em esp if you need light weight valvetrain with superior harmonics control.
Ive run the Manley 221438 on quite a few high strung .620-.640 lift lobes to 7k.
Nascar trusts the PSI 1511ML for nearly all their ls engines. That says something.

You can have good lift with a stable lobe. The marine lobes and the HUC lobes from comp are a perfect example.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Truck Sponsor

We have been neglecting this thread so here is an update!

A little update this week and even more next week!
Picture of the pistons being used in both YES BOTH our iron 5.7 AND our 5.1l 313. Its an IG link with mult pictures so scroll away!
These also come in our regular ls1 rebuild kits and the same style (smaller bore) for the flat top 4.8 and 5.3l build.
So we are doing both engines and turning this into a 5 engine build! Cuz why not right?
Maybe a few pics later on of the dyno rig also.

Hopefully block pics and some install pics next week! Its just been way too busy!

Cam lobe development is coming along also.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:29 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What if you ran smaller valves in LS3 heads on tossed them on the 333?
Old 04-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Truck Sponsor

That would not only defeat the purpose of this test but also limit the port design of the ls3 head. its a popular idea but alot of extra machine work as well as not worth it in my experience.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Truck Sponsor

Few updates.
Porting the DLST to the bbk 80mm tb 1709.
Got the bbk tb in. THIS. THING. IS. MASSIVE. and heavy. But expected from a cast piece. Minimal work required but ill have some side by sides later.

How about some 372 action?
As i am STILL having issues posting pics directly on here, i have a fe IG links with mult pictures, so click and scroll! Ill have more posts/pics of progress also. The 333 wont have documented tear down, but will have a fairly good documented build up.
So here is the 372 tear down.
05 6.0. 60k (supposed) miles. The only things ill be reusing are the rods, block, crank and covers. The heads will be cleaned and machined for another setup or maybe ported idk. Everything looked like covfefe and tar were poured on the inside and allowed to soak for a very long time. Bought it with a "slight noise at idle". Expected lifters or maybe rod bearing. Was not let down....CAM BEARING. In fact it came out when i pulled the cam! (pics in link)
Another interesting find....gen4 vvt pistons in the 05 6.0. GM be crazy. The rest was pretty much normal, 1x cam gear, tapered thrust plate.
Both knock sensors were rusted good on the bottom and the top came loose and free wheeled so a hammer, flat blade screw driver, and an impact later, they came out.
Bearings are not reusable. Some had excessive wear at the ends and some had lines gouged into them. I dont reuse bearings anyway, but have pics for science of course. The rings were mostly stuck IN the lands. Looks like this 6.0 smoked 3 packs of Pall Mall daily. The grimey taint from the rings not doing their job made such an odd pattern on the pistons, i thought they had an anodized coating on the first ring land. NOPE! Just oil and carbon. They were set to soak in some cleaner while i pulled the plugs and stripped the block bare. Its now at the machine shop waiting for new cam bearings, 4.040 torque plate bore and hone, true deck, jet wash, and check cam tunnel and main bore. Should be ready soon ;-)
Link to some of the teardown/cleanup pics

Quick Reply: RPMSpeed 4 ls engine test for 2018