PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Radix or STS for a 408? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/radix-sts-408-a-346322/)

Mr. Sandog 08-09-2005 04:30 PM

Radix or STS for a 408?

If you were to build a 408 (hypothetically), which boost would you prefer - Radix, or STS - and why?

BeefTip 08-09-2005 04:42 PM

I would do sts out of those 2. You have more room to grow with the turbo choices. I believe you would max the radix out quick on a 408. You could get the gt70 kit and run some good boost on the 408.

moregrip 08-09-2005 04:44 PM

Radix, of course.

JERRY2500 08-09-2005 05:13 PM

Turbo for sure. Like Beeftip said GT70 or 76

Mr. Sandog 08-09-2005 05:18 PM

Thanks, guys, for you input thus far.

If you would, when you reply, please give the reasoning behind your recommendation. I'd really like to see what's behind your thinking. :thumb:

EDawg 08-09-2005 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Naked AV
If you were to build a 408 (hypothetically), which boost would you prefer - Radix, or STS - and why?

just put a procharger. make it easy on your self :)

F8L Z71 08-09-2005 06:19 PM

I don't believe a Radix can support the CFM needed to make it worthwhile on a 408. The STS could easily do so with the upgraded piping and bigger turbo. One good aspect is the lag won't be so noticable on the big motor due to the great low end power.

So out of those I would definately go STS.

Another factor is where you want the power. IMO a roots style would be a waste on a big cubed motor because traction will be limited. Why not make the motor more efficient in the midrange and top end instead.

unredeemed 08-09-2005 06:26 PM

Kevin you need to go turbo if you want that big of a motor. On top of that, a turbo kit will cost less then an equivalant supercharger that can support the 408.

Besides, it's damn nice to be able to adjust boost in the cabin, and you can really get into the tuning to have low boost low octane maps, and high boost race maps, and econo maps.

If you do decide on the STS route, or another flavor of Turbo, I may take that Radix off your hands. My condo sale is coming up and I'll have some cash hopefully. Forget my wedding, I have priorities. :devil:

moregrip 08-09-2005 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I don't believe a Radix can support the CFM needed to make it worthwhile on a 408. The STS could easily do so with the upgraded piping and bigger turbo. One good aspect is the lag won't be so noticable on the big motor due to the great low end power.

So out of those I would definately go STS.

Another factor is where you want the power. IMO a roots style would be a waste on a big cubed motor because traction will be limited. Why not make the motor more efficient in the midrange and top end instead.

3 things

1. how much cfm would you guess would be needed for this setup?
2. If Kevin really wanted to, I bet he could get that AV to hook like no other.
3. I bet that STS would pull like a freight train at freeway speeds and he does drive the highways quite a bit. (did I just say something nice about the gutter turbos? :twak: ........ok I'm back :angel: )

unredeemed 08-09-2005 07:06 PM

3. I bet that STS would pull like a freight train at freeway speeds and he does drive the highways quite a bit.
This is where the properly sized turbo will make all the difference, as well as a good tune, as you can advance the timing at low RPM to aid in spooling.