PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   radix, procharger, or whipple s/c whine (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/radix-procharger-whipple-s-c-whine-90071/)

FrankSS 07-30-2003 02:15 PM

radix, procharger, or whipple s/c whine

i was just curious to which of these had a nice supercharger whine to them. all of these companies claim to have quiet operation but how do they sound on yalls trucks?

OOsilverado 07-30-2003 02:34 PM

Re: radix, procharger, or whipple s/c whine

Whipples are noticeable but very quiet. thats the only one ive had personal experience with. I heard prochargers are pretty loud.

My guess would be whipple, radix, then procharger. in order from quietest to loudest

ArizonaSpeed 07-30-2003 02:46 PM

The centrifugals definitely the loudest of the bunch. If thats what your looking for get a Vortech or Procharger. Everyone will know your coming, once its installed.

Flyer 07-30-2003 03:12 PM

The Radix isn't loud until you it starts producing boost. At idle it has a little bit of a whine, sounds kinda like a bad altenator.

Ryan23silverado 07-30-2003 03:25 PM

Yes I call my Whipple the cement mixer under my hood. Not so impressive noise at idle, kind of like what Flyer said as sounding like a bad alternator. But when you get on it :D you can definately tell something is up. It doesn't sound like a turbo spool, but more like an industrial vacuum cleaner.

lm7 07-30-2003 03:42 PM

the procharger whines bad...when someone has a procharger youll know from idle..if you want the the whine get one...its not a sleeper blower at all...personally i like the whine :D

parish8 07-30-2003 03:43 PM

with slightly loud exhaust i couldn't even here my whipple any more. when it was on with stock exhaust you could hear it a little. very quiet.

L82gofast 07-30-2003 04:09 PM

When I open mine up it whine's (more like screams) big time :D I've got no problems with it, its cool.
My wife says she can hear me coming from way down the street.
At idle or crusing you can't hear it at all. Only when its boosting...

Slowverado 07-30-2003 05:49 PM

hell, even at idle you can hear stupidfast's d1sc over his exhaust it's very very noticable at idle, never heard it under a load though from outside the truck.

whitt1 07-30-2003 08:55 PM

My Radix is quiet at idle and easing around town,but when I nail the throttle all hell breaks loose it screams like crazy and accelarates like a Vette on steroids.

Procharged LM7 07-31-2003 02:10 AM

The Procharger also sounds like a broken bearing rattling at idle. When it spins, there is nothing sweeter :)

FrankSS 07-31-2003 02:25 AM

how about vortec's? are they the same as prochargers, or a little quieter? i like the whine but im not shure about how annoying it will get on long trips.

L-EATER 07-31-2003 06:33 AM

My Whipple was really quiet until I opened up the intake system. The addition of an open element filter and now when under boost it sounds like a fire truck coming down the road! I get a LOT of people gathered around in the pits after making a pass. It is hard not to be in the throttle all the time just to hear the whine.

ArizonaSpeed 07-31-2003 11:19 PM

The Vortech kits whine just as loud as the Pro Charger kits do. Even at idle, there is no question your ride has "something under the hood" with the centrifugals. It all comes down to personal preference.

FrankSS 08-01-2003 12:24 AM

but do the centrifugals make as much power as the radix? they are alot cheeper and i liek the s/c whine but do i need to have the torque down low of the radix?

ArizonaSpeed 08-01-2003 12:54 AM

The centrifugals have the same potential, they just peak at a different area of the powerband. I always thought the centrifugals were well suited for F-Body's and Vettes and the heavier trucks seemed to respond better to the Whipple's and Magna Chargers. The heavier trucks need that torque down low to get them moving. There are always exceptions depending on your objectives, but this seems to be a good rule of thumb.

Procharged LM7 08-01-2003 01:42 AM

The centrifugals have the same potential, they just peak at a different area of the powerband. I always thought the centrifugals were well suited for F-Body's and Vettes and the heavier trucks seemed to respond better to the Whipple's and Magna Chargers. The heavier trucks need that torque down low to get them moving. There are always exceptions depending on your objectives, but this seems to be a good rule of thumb.

:D yep. Unless you have a stall like GMCSKI has :D he is right, though for all around use.

ArizonaSpeed 08-01-2003 10:58 AM

Yeah, GMCSKI is definately one of those exceptions I was referring to. ;)

whitt1 08-01-2003 12:46 PM

The biggest problem with the ProCharger is the issue of tuning,the Radix is good to go out of the box,while the ProCharger is not.The ProCharger can be very unforgiving,ask lm7.

lm7 08-01-2003 02:24 PM

Yeah, GMCSKI is definately one of those exceptions I was referring to. ;)

and then there is STUPID FAST with a d1-sc with a pye 3600 and 12lbs.. on a 6.0 :D :hail:
:hail:GMCSKI :hail:STUPID FAST

but then again theres the whipple arguement and we all know who had the whipple

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:PARISH8

Slowverado 08-01-2003 03:18 PM

stupid's truck is damn fast....wickedly fast infact. i've only seen him get on it once but he put about 10 lengths on my truck real quick. Arizona, any details on your truck? seems like there's a really bad ass blown truck from chandler...that you?

parish8 08-01-2003 06:14 PM

LEATER, nice et :cheers: "***05-27-03 - 12.67 at 105*** Best 60ft so far is 1.70", i missed it when you posted that time i guess, how much boost did you run to get that? what kind of gas, not sure but i think that make you the fastest blower set up, i ran a 12.7 once but it was a real nice night.

SS Escalado 08-01-2003 06:19 PM

which one makes the most power? the ati, radix or vortech.

BlownChevy 08-01-2003 06:25 PM

which one makes the most power? the ati, radix or vortech.

The radix will make the most power under the curve....that is what you are looking for. Around town the roots will be the most fun.

ArizonaSpeed 08-01-2003 08:39 PM

If you are looking for a kit that needs nothing else besides what it comes with from the manufacturer then go with the Radix. If you don't mind getting LS1 Edit and a torque convertor, the centrifugals can make some serious HP with the right fuel delivery system and some tuning. If this isn't for you definately go with the Radix.

L-EATER 08-01-2003 08:49 PM

Parish-sent ya a PM.

FrankSS 08-01-2003 11:26 PM

i want to buy the radix but 5k is alot of money compared to about 2-3k for a procharger. how much work will it take in edit to get the tuning down for a centrifugal?

whitt1 08-02-2003 06:58 AM

If you have the tuning skills,you could buy edit $550 and install big injectors about $800.You are looking at $1350 not counting your time or any misc parts.That figure can grow quickly to the price of a new engine if you only think you have the tuning skills.

Flyer 08-02-2003 08:17 PM

Yopu forgot about ATAP or EFILive, 250-400 depending on what package you get.

FrankSS 08-02-2003 11:06 PM

damn, i guess ill pass on the ati, i also read on some other page today about how procharger's leak oil from the seal alot, has anyone here had that problem?

Procharged LM7 08-03-2003 12:24 AM

I haven't heard of that happening in the last couple of years. They used to have that problem with the seals, but I have not heard of anyone having that prob out of like 20 of them on here, and different boards. Mostly just tuning issues. They do run really well, if someone can tune it for you. Sam

XLR8NSS 08-03-2003 12:32 AM

I think the seal leaking problem was on the 600B model blowers.

The newer P1SC and D1SC blowers don't seem to have seal problems, just sound like rock crushers. :eek2: ;)