PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Proper Seafoam usage in crankcase? (with Radix) (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/proper-seafoam-usage-crankcase-radix-266059/)

Mr. Sandog 01-24-2005 02:04 AM

Proper Seafoam usage in crankcase? (with Radix)

I've already used Seafoam in the gas tank, but I have another pint I want to run through the crankcase.

The directions say to use a vacuum line to suck it into the engine, but I am pretty much engine illiterate. I also have the Radix, which I'm guessing could complicate things. Which line do I use?

Below are the directions from the web site, can anyone help with how to get this stuff into my motor properly?

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors

With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.

Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.

Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.

Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.

Soquel 01-24-2005 02:20 AM

I used G.M. top engine cleaner, but its pretty much the same product. I found the easiest way to get it into the engine is through the PCV valve hose. If you don't know, its at the back of the right valve cover. Just pop it off. and stick a straw in there and suck it up. This won't get any seafoam to the crankcase though, just the top end. If you want to do that, just pour some in the oil filler. That does sound kinda sketchy though becasue seafoam dilutes the oil, thats how it cleans. I wouldn't run my engine very long with it in the crankcase. Change your oil after using it.

Mr. Sandog 01-24-2005 02:49 AM

I was planning on driving to the oil change place as soon as I run it through. I heard it smokes like a mofo. I heard as soon as it all goes in, shut the motor off and let it sit, then run it a little, and change your oil. How long/far should I run it?

When you say 'right' valve cover, do you mean driver's side or passenger side?

moregrip 01-24-2005 03:00 AM

just pour a 1/2 can where you change the oil, proceed to get your oil changed, double check the driving parameters on the website to make sure there isn't a load limit, I wouldn't run it hard at all. Won't effect Radix, seperate systems;)

Soquel 01-24-2005 04:01 AM

Drivers side, you'll see it, its sticking out of the top on the back, its a slip fit so just pull the hose off. Wrap some tape around the straw so it fits into the hose. Pour the seafoam into a glass so you can sea how much you have. Start the engine and it will start sucking through the straw, dip the straw into the glass and start sucking the seafoam up. The engine will start to stutter but keep it going by twisting the throttle and varying the amount of seafoam you are sucking up. Do this until half the glass is gone, then rapidly suck the rest up until the motor sputters and dies. Let your truck sit for a couple hours to let the seafoam dissolve the carbon, then start it up and rev the engine and drive it around till it stops smoking and runs smoothly. I just changed my oil right after I did mine. I'm sure you'll be fine just driving to jiffy lube.

2002yroneformula 01-24-2005 06:51 AM

I'll show my incompetence by asking what is seafoam, and what is the point of using it?

quicksilverado 01-24-2005 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2002yroneformula
I'll show my incompetence by asking what is seafoam, and what is the point of using it?

It cleans out all the sediment that builds up in the engine.

GREGGO 01-24-2005 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2002yroneformula

It's basically an internal engine cleaner. Like was said above "GM Top End Cleaner" it disolves build up inside the engine and intake.

BigKID 01-24-2005 08:53 AM

I would be leary of running it thru the intake track with a Radix. Liquid is incompressable and could possibly damage the rotors/bearings in your compressor.

Mr. Sandog 01-24-2005 05:34 PM

So what should I do? Are there two different systems or not? Should I just dump the whole pint into the oil fill hole? :confused: