PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   power steering pump pulley (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/power-steering-pump-pulley-456955/)

Formula_LT1 02-10-2010 07:19 PM

power steering pump pulley

I bought a used power steering pump from a salvage yard and the pulley came with the pump but wasn't on the shaft. Inside the shaft is threaded but I can't tell what size bolt to use and was wondering if anyone knew what the thread size is?

MikeGyver 02-10-2010 09:01 PM

3/8-16

Blown06 02-11-2010 01:10 AM

If your asking this question cause you need to get the pulley off, I would suggest you go to an autoparts store and rent a power steering pulley removal/installation tool. Its usually free and will save you a lot of trouble.

Formula_LT1 02-11-2010 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Blown06 (Post 4393954)
If your asking this question cause you need to get the pulley off, I would suggest you go to an autoparts store and rent a power steering pulley removal/installation tool. Its usually free and will save you a lot of trouble.

No, I need to put one back on.

MikeGyver 02-11-2010 02:56 PM

Then you need an installation tool. If you try it with just a bolt and washers, the threads will pull out of the pump shaft.
The tool has a bearing that is pushed by a fine thread pusher thing.

Formula_LT1 02-13-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver (Post 4394253)
Then you need an installation tool. If you try it with just a bolt and washers, the threads will pull out of the pump shaft.
The tool has a bearing that is pushed by a fine thread pusher thing.

Is this some kind of special tool that is going to be hard to find, or will a regular pulley puller work?

Mrgoodwrench3 02-13-2010 08:04 PM

You need to use the installation tool. Don't use a bolt in the shaft. It puts too much stress on the threads, you will ruin the new pump.

Kristy Clark 02-21-2021 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3 (Post 4395701)
You need to use the installation tool. Don't use a bolt in the shaft. It puts too much stress on the threads, you will ruin the new pump.

I think what he is trying to say is that he needs the boat that holds the pulley on after he uses the installation tool. That's the problem I am having as well. The bolt broke and I thought my pump went out. I replaced the pump and the pulley but can't find a bolt to secure it anywhere

RB04Av 02-21-2021 10:55 AM

They don't have a bolt. That's probably why you can't find one.

The installer tool is a threaded rod that screws into those threads; then a nut screws down against the pulley, with a bearing to take up the turning force. The corner parts stores "rent" the tool for free. Then when you're through, you take the threaded rod tool out and return it to the store. The pulley will be flush with the end of the pump shaft, and is a REAL TIGHT press fit, such that it doesn't need a bolt at all.

But he was struggling with all that over 11 years ago; I hope he got his figured out sometime since then and it isn't still kicking his butt. ;) Meanwhile, if your pulley is on all the way, then your job is done.

timharber 02-21-2021 12:51 PM

The threads are only used to install the press fit pulley. No bolt is needed after that.

Tim