PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Poll: Pros and cons of LS1 and LQ9? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/poll-pros-cons-ls1-lq9-348219/)

ASkipper 09-07-2005 06:17 PM

Poll: Pros and cons of LS1 and LQ9?

I was just wondering which one would make more horsepower? LS1 or LQ9 with say the same size cam and stage 2 heads.Guys help me decide which to go with.I know the ls1 will be 100lbs lighter.

8ALTNG 09-07-2005 06:29 PM

Get a 4.8L :devil:

Tractionless 09-07-2005 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
Get a 4.8L :devil:

Why get a 4.8 when you can have a 4.2 :nod:....:P (runningforcover)

Well both are great engines to have in a truck, but I would go with the lq9 becuase of the extra torque it produces over an ls1. (more cubes) Trucks are heavy and need a the most impulse possible of the line. (torque :nod:) Plus you can later get a 4.000" crank and bored piston cylinders to 4.030" and have a 408ci torque monster. :drool: Just my 2¢. :)

duwem 09-08-2005 09:46 AM

is the LQ9 an all aluminum block like the LS1? weight would be a big factor if its Iron, but if your gona bore it then you have to consider material too.

TigerFan187 09-08-2005 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Why get a 4.8 when you can have a 4.2 :nod:....:P (runningforcover)

Well both are great engines to have in a truck, but I would go with the lq9 becuase of the extra torque it produces over an ls1. (more cubes) Trucks are heavy and need a the most impulse possible of the line. (torque :nod:) Plus you can later get a 4.000" crank and bored piston cylinders to 4.030" and have a 408ci torque monster. :drool: Just my 2¢. :)

Depending on what your doing! Are you buying brand new or used? Are you buying a "package" ? I had a 4.8 but killed it and so I went with a used LS1(02') shortblock that had like 12k miles on it becuase I got a real good deal on it and a buddy of mine was selling it. If I were to buy brand new I would go with the lq9/lq4 becuase they are cheaper and have a tad but more power. I love my LS1 though and Im very happy with it. The only advantage ot has over the LQ's is its 75 or 100 lbs lighter being ti has an aluminum block!

budhayes3 09-08-2005 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by duwem
is the LQ9 an all aluminum block like the LS1? weight would be a big factor if its Iron, but if your gona bore it then you have to consider material too.

The LQ9's are iron-block 6.0's with flat top pistons.

CHEVY6000VHO 09-08-2005 04:29 PM

Go with the LQ9. I have one in my 2005 ECSB truck and love the torque.
With even the factory cam it seems to have a lot of potential for future add-ons. A factory LQ9 with a good custom tune, exhaust, CAI kit, will propell you into the mid 13's. With traction of course.
The 20" wheels and tires on my truck slows it down quite a bit. I ran a 14.32 in the 1/4 mi with traction problems.
There are guys that post here that say when they change out the 20's to a lot smaller wheel and tire combo, they are dropping 1/2 sec. or more.
These are ext. cab trucks too. If you have a single cab short wheel base, then you will of course see a bit more of a drop in the E.T.

Jim

nativetexan 09-09-2005 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Go with the LQ9. I have one in my 2005 ECSB truck and love the torque.
With even the factory cam it seems to have a lot of potential for future add-ons. A factory LQ9 with a good custom tune, exhaust, CAI kit, will propell you into the mid 13's. With traction of course.
The 20" wheels and tires on my truck slows it down quite a bit. I ran a 14.32 in the 1/4 mi with traction problems.
There are guys that post here that say when they change out the 20's to a lot smaller wheel and tire combo, they are dropping 1/2 sec. or more.
These are ext. cab trucks too. If you have a single cab short wheel base, then you will of course see a bit more of a drop in the E.T.

Jim

:werd: