Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinched O-ring on oil pickup tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pinched O-ring on oil pickup tube

Opened up my '08 L76 engine Saturday and found this pinched o-ring on the pickup tube. I was amazed to find this, because this engine had 228,380 miles on it when I pulled it out.
While it never had great oil pressure, it always had enough.
Since I had all of 16 the lifters dealer replaced at 99k under warranty, and I pulled it out at 228k due to a another failed AFM lifter that eventually ate the cam, I wonder if this was a contributing factor to the lifter failures.
I bought with the truck with 24k on it, so I don't believe the pan or timing cover had ever been off, the dealer only removed the heads to replace the lifters.
Even with all those miles, the cylinders still look much better and the piston skirts show far less wear than the iron block LY6 I replaced it with, so I am going to rebuild the L76 and drop it back in its home.
Just going to mill the heads .020, add some low mileage flat tops and a summit level 1 truck cam, ws6 store ported oil pump, and comp's ls6 replacement beehive springs, along with all the bearings, rings, and gaskets, etc.

The LY6 ate a cam and lifter recently, at approx. 50k after the swap, and when I pulled it out to replace the cam, #4 cam bearing (next to the bad lifter and cam lobe) had spun.
It has an LS9 cam, but I believe now that the wrong springs were installed by the seller.
I know the iron LY6 block it can be fixed, so I won't scrap the it, I'll just save it for another project down the road.

You can be sure I'll triple check it, but do you have any suggestions on how to avoid pinching the new o-ring?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by hot66

Opened up my '08 L76 engine Saturday and found this pinched o-ring on the pickup tube. I was amazed to find this, because this engine had 228,380 miles on it when I pulled it out.
While it never had great oil pressure, it always had enough.
Since I had all of 16 the lifters dealer replaced at 99k under warranty, and I pulled it out at 228k due to a another failed AFM lifter that eventually ate the cam, I wonder if this was a contributing factor to the lifter failures.
I bought with the truck with 24k on it, so I don't believe the pan or timing cover had ever been off, the dealer only removed the heads to replace the lifters.
Even with all those miles, the cylinders still look much better and the piston skirts show far less wear than the iron block LY6 I replaced it with, so I am going to rebuild the L76 and drop it back in its home.
Just going to mill the heads .020, add some low mileage flat tops and a summit level 1 truck cam, ws6 store ported oil pump, and comp's ls6 replacement beehive springs, along with all the bearings, rings, and gaskets, etc.

The LY6 ate a cam and lifter recently, at approx. 50k after the swap, and when I pulled it out to replace the cam, #4 cam bearing (next to the bad lifter and cam lobe) had spun.
It has an LS9 cam, but I believe now that the wrong springs were installed by the seller.
I know the iron LY6 block it can be fixed, so I won't scrap the it, I'll just save it for another project down the road.

You can be sure I'll triple check it, but do you have any suggestions on how to avoid pinching the new o-ring?

Thanks,
Jeff
Plenty of lube.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Plenty of lube.

White lithium grease or similar, liberally slathered on it.

The one in the photo looks like it just barely missed being fatal... doesn't look like it leaked too terribly bad. Sometimes ya just get lucky I guess.