Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Deciding on Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Deciding on Headers?

Hey Guys,
Basically I am looking for some advice on headers. I like the Edelbrock Shorty's part #65022 from Summit but I don't have any idea which is the best. I know at lot of people buy the Pacesetter LT's but I have heard so many problems that come from those. I basically want to get the most out of my 4.8L without putting on a supercharger and changing the cams because I just don't know enough about those two things. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 02:42 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want shorties leave the stockers in there. shorties will do nothing for you. your stock manifolds flow very well and you will not see any improvements with the short style headers. which is the reason you see everybody will the long tubes.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:57 AM
Teching In

Smile

^ Thanks! Yeah I have heard that the Shorty's are a waist of money. Are the Pacesetter LT's worth getting? Or is there another long tube header out there that may be better? Or maybe I should just say screw the Headers and go with different cams. Another thing that I am clueless about.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

Nice truck man. I have the Pacesetter LT's and have not had any problems with them. And I love the gain(sound on the exhaust) and take off power. The only thing you just have to check the header bolts every couple of weeks and tighten them.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool truck!!! What mods do you have already?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

yeah i would say long tubes before cam. btw how was the fit and finish on that lower valance?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Mr. Obvious

get longtubes. pacesetters are a good deal or get some expensive stainless steel dynatechs or stainless works also makes a lt header too.

btw, we only have one cam
Old 09-03-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pacesetter's!! Can't beat em for the money! As for having to tighten em up every now and then? That goes for most headers. Me personally I reused the stock bolts instead of the one's that came with em. Checked em once or twice in the 2+ years I've had em and they have always been good and snug, Think I put a dab of loctite on em when I installed em but can't really remember? Always a good Idea though.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Smile

Cool! Thanks guys, I think I will just go with the Pacesetter LT's then. Since I live in California I am going to have to find a way to dodge the emissions standards. The good thing is my truck does not have A.I.R or EGR so there would be no reason for it not to pass smog.

^ The front valance fits perfect and I love the look of it but I am actually going to change to the exact same valance only it will be paintable. I also am having a paintable OE bumper put on as well so that everything from front to rear will be indiglo blue. I guess I am bored with the chrome, but it does shine!

^ So far I have not done too many engine mods on my truck but I have done quite a few exterior/suspension mods. As of today I have a 2/4 Belltech Coil Spring/Hanger-Shackle Drop kit with Nitro Active shocks at all for corners. I also added a Belltech rear sway bar for that added cornering. My favorite part of this truck is the handling! I also swapped in a FIPK Gen II K & N intake and dual magnaflow exhaust. Lastly Jesse hooked me up with a custom tune from Wait 4 Me As for the SHOW:
Eagle 026 22" Wheels wrapped in Toyo Proxes 265/40
EFX Steel Roll Pan
Color Matched door handles
Custom Chevrolet Emblems
Custom Grille and Lower Valance

Future Mods:
Electric Fans, Most likely the Flex-a-lite moster fans
Pacesetter LT's, thanks to you guys
STS Turbo or Whipple Supercharger
Street Scene Cal Vu Electric Mirrors
Cam???
Old 09-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Any thoughts on where to buy the Pacesetter LT's?

Quick Reply: Deciding on Headers?