Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Cylinder Steam Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts
Default One Cylinder Steam Engine

I don't have a place to work on my truck in the winter, but I have a place to talk about it.
It's time to start discussing how I am going to minimize the work involved to repair whatever is allowing the coolant leak through my engine. I took a video to show the steam coming from the exhaust, I only drive it once a week or so to keep the rotors from rusting too badly.
I think it started last spring when I overheated it in traffic pulling my boat.
There's no antifreeze in the oil, I have changed it twice since then. I have seen some crud in the antifreeze, but hardly any. It just got to the point in the fall that I can't drive it more than a short distance before it starts overheating from losing coolant.
My question is, if I can find what one or two cylinders it is with a compression or leakdown test, how will I know what is compromised if it isn't obvious? And what if a leakdown test doesn't show anything?
My point is, what if I open it up and that bank's head gasket looks ok? Will it be obvious if my .040 over block is cracked? Or if my AFR head is cracked? I assume that if the head is warped, it would be indicated by the gasket
I would think that a compression test should easily show where the problem is, based on looking at how my exhaust is sending smoke (steam) signals? But, what if it doesn't? Thanks for indulging in my worries.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:25 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

How hot did it get and for how long? I would start with a compression test and then a leak down and see what you find. What head gaskets?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks, Pat I will.. Probably I will be able to start working on mine when you start driving yours. I'm not sure how long it overheated, it kept going back to normal whenever I got speed up enough for airflow. The electric fans weren't working that day. Cometic MLS .051
Old 02-20-2019, 08:02 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I drove mine last weekend briefly, so get to work!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

In my past small and big block chevy days before this crap became electronic I was always able to see the issue on disassembly even a crack in the cylinder liner. Maybe I just got lucky but that was always my experience with any I ever had issue with. Smart guy like you, I think you'll have no problem! Best of luck sir.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
..... Best of luck sir.
Thanks
Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Going completely off the subject, I just realized that YouTube can make up any number they want about how many views a video gets. I wonder how people who make videos for a living trust YouTube to be truthful about view count, subscribers, or anything else. This thread has over 300 views, yet my YouTube page says this video has 31 views. s:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Pulls the plugs and inspect them first, the the compression test, then the leak down test if necessary.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks, as soon as weather permits. I have changed plugs a couple of times, the only thing that I saw was #1 and #5 have a little more carbon.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Going completely off the subject, I just realized that YouTube can make up any number they want about how many views a video gets. I wonder how people who make videos for a living trust YouTube to be truthful about view count, subscribers, or anything else. This thread has over 300 views, yet my YouTube page says this video has 31 views. s:
Not everybody gonna click the video. Certainly bots crawling the site don't..

Richard

Quick Reply: One Cylinder Steam Engine