PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Oh Shit! Did I cook my engine?! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/oh-shit-did-i-cook-my-engine-431683/)

KevinF56 12-30-2008 10:22 PM

Oh Shit! Did I cook my engine?!

What a disaster of a night. Here's the story:

Today I drop my truck off at a trans shop to have my SS3600 converter installed. Well it was done today so I went and picked it up tonight. I pay, get my registration back, and walk out. I decide to go in the passenger side first and put the registration back in the glove box, also at this time I lean over and start my truck up. Ok so I lock the door, shut it.... Oh fuck. Truck's locked and it's running. Call my dad (extra key is home) and he's 25 mins from home, then would have to get the key and drive back in to Boston, so he wouldn't get there for at least an hour. Call AAA, they're on their way.

Fast forward half an hour or so. I happen to look in the window to see how much gas I have left, notice the temp. gauge is pegged. Balls. Go around and I don't here my e-fans on (LS1 fans). Luckily the trans shop guy is still there. We try everything to get the door unlocked. Nothing.

Truck starts flashing "coolant hot".... couple mins later "Engine overheated"....few more minutes "Reduced engine power". Ok at this point I don't know what to do. AAA isn't there and we can't get the door. Next thing I know the truck starts pissing out coolant and it's smoking. "Fuck. Hey pal you got a hammer?". I smashed the window and shut the truck off. The truck was ridiculously hot. It smoked and pissed coolant for maybe a minute or two minutes before I got it turned off and the hood opened. Do you think I did serious damage? Possibly warp the heads?

The truck got towed to a local mechanic to have it checked out. How much heat can these take before something seriously wrong happens?

Sorry for the long story. I needed to vent. :(

KevinF56 12-30-2008 10:23 PM

Also, I have no idea why my e-fans didn't work. I've had them for a year and a half with no problems. I've sat in traffic in 95 degree weather and the truck stays cool. Sigh...

StreetSilverado 12-30-2008 10:29 PM

Hm....sorry bro that really sucks. I've had my truck pegging once in traffic when my thermostat stuck and didn't even notice it. I parked and killed it right away of course. It really just depends, I'd defiantly get it checked out to be on the safe side. My truck had no problems. Everything seemed to be A ok :thumbs:. As long as it wasn't running like that for a long period of time I think you should be fine.

KevinF56 12-30-2008 10:31 PM

man i hope it's fine. one day i want to put in a 6.0, but not today. haha.

wastedrubber 12-30-2008 10:31 PM

man that sucks. i'd like to think it should be alright, but i guess wait and hear what the mechanic says...

the e-fans didn't work because you locked your keys in the truck with it running. standard case of murphy's law.

Mangled03gmc 12-30-2008 10:32 PM

I did that not long back, it over heated, got the coolant hot flashing in the lil window, then reduce engine power. I shut it off drifted for about a 1/4 mile, started it up and did that a few times till I was home.. It was 260, no probs thus far. I think your fine.. :)

StreetSilverado 12-30-2008 10:35 PM

Yeah, just don't let the mechanic talk you into some BS deal just so he can take some of that money :lol:. But yeah, I think it will be just fine.

TXsilverado 12-30-2008 10:40 PM

if it was running fine when you shut it down i would think that everything is fine. ive had my motor hot a few times but never boiled coolant out. you can plug the exhaust to make it turn off next time.

the engine going into limp mode is its way of protecting itself. hopefully it did what it was intended to do.

KevinF56 12-30-2008 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by TXsilverado (Post 4088467)
if it was running fine when you shut it down i would think that everything is fine. ive had my motor hot a few times but never boiled coolant out. you can plug the exhaust to make it turn off next time.

the engine going into limp mode is its way of protecting itself. hopefully it did what it was intended to do.

yeah the engine sounded real funny, but i guess it was because it was in Reduced Power mode.

and i didn't know that about the exhaust. i wish i knew that at 5:45pm...

Silvy6.0 12-30-2008 10:48 PM

That sucks man. I think you should be ok. These motors are pretty tough. Never had mine that hot yet either. Best of luck to ya.