PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Need some serious help on Torque Converter decision (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/need-some-serious-help-torque-converter-decision-281074/)

linhardt 02-24-2005 09:16 AM

Need some serious help on Torque Converter decision

I have been contemplating about putting a torque converter into my truck.

I have read just about every post in here about converters, and I am still unsure on what would be the best converter for my truck needs, or even if I should stick with the stock converter. I have heard so many people say go with a 3000 stall converter, but thier trucks are 2WD and do not tow anything.

I have been thinking of getting a Yank or Precision Industries converter

Can anyone help me answer a few more torque converter questions to help me decide what to do????

First is my vehicle info:
'03 Silverado 1500
Ext. Cab Long Bed
4X4
5.3L
4L60E tranny
3.73 gears

Mods:
K&N FIPK Gen II
PCMforLess 91 octane tune
Magnaflow muffler

Future mods:
E-Fans
Cam
E-water pump
shift kit and billet servo

Vehilce Usage:
Daily Driver
will occasionally tow a small aluminum fishing boat in the future (16' - 18' aluminum Bass Tracker type boat) Or tow a small utility trailer with riding mower on it.

I will be installing the shift kit and billet servo prior to any converter install.

Here are some of my questions:

What stall size would be best for my truck and truck usage? 2400? 2600? 3000?

Should I upgrade to a better tranny cooler or will the stock one be ok?

Is there any problems with getting a converter for 4 wheel drive truck?

Is there any daily driving problems with a higher stall converter?

How will converter effect towing the items I listed above? Will it be a problem?

Any help in helping make the correct decision for my truck and truck usage would be extrememly appreciated. I have been contemplating this for a month now and still have fears of which one or if any at all.

ITLstallion04 02-24-2005 09:20 AM

Not sure what brand... but nothing OVER 3000 stall for your setup... It will actually help with towing... and it will be fine for a daily driver... Tranny cooler should be fine, depending on mileage, maybe you should change it...

There are a few on ebay... they of course are cheaper... doesnt mean they arent good quality.. but summit has them.. jegs is probably one of the better places... not sure what brand tho.. someone will be able to tell ya

KBOBOZ71 02-24-2005 09:52 AM

Hey Man Im In The Same Boat. I Have Been Looking And Reading But Still Cant Decide. I Think It Would Be Best To Get Something A Little Less Than 3000 Maybe A 2800 Or 2600 For What You're Gonna Be Doing. I Would Definately Change The Tranny Cooler Its Only About $50-100. A New Tranny Is $1200-1500! But I Am Leaning Towards A Yank But They Are So Expensive I Dont Know. Sorry I Couldnt Be Much Help.

linhardt 02-24-2005 12:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I am leaning towards a 3000 stall.

Anyone else care to comment??

rhayes5000 02-24-2005 12:38 PM

I think the small trailer your towing would have little effect on your stall decision. I have been thinking about a stall but I tow a steel flat-bed trailer with a race car for long distances that have large hills. I think 2600 would be the max for my situation...

Good Luck

ridnlow 02-24-2005 12:59 PM

For what you are towing i would think you would be ok with a 3000 stall.. I decided on a 3000 because i wont be making that much power.. I think i would have been dissapointed going with anything less than a 3000.. It didnt take long at all to get used to and it is just flat out fun... Also yank and precision arent the only companies out there that make converters.. A lot of guys around here including me are running TCI converters and are having real good luck.. You can pick one of these up fron a sponsor ----------->
for 420-450 range.. The Tci is a smaller converter.. 10" vs the yank which is a 12" so it doesnt retain the towing capability that the yank does but once again i think you will be ok towing a small boat or utility trailer..

12sec.5.3 02-24-2005 01:06 PM

Really depends on what your gonna do with the truck. How often will you be drag racing at the track? Seems like you want a mild setup kinda like what I have. I used to run a P.I. 2800 which was very agressive at the track but had no towing capacity. I need to tow things every once in a while so I replaced it with a Yank TT3000. Full towing capacity and not annoying to drive. Seems like something you should look into. I haven't hooked up to anything yet but i'd bet it pulls easier(accelerates with less strain). A stock tranny cooler would be fine in this case unless you pull really heavy loads. Whatever brand stall you go with, make sure it can suit your needs.

12sec.5.3 02-24-2005 01:09 PM

Woo Hoo!! 300 posts :hump:

Breeze 02-24-2005 01:16 PM

I think you would be happy with the TT3000 I know its exspensive but I think its probably what youre looking for.

fastinspirit02 02-24-2005 01:37 PM

I have the Yank TT3000 and I like it alot, driveability is great, it seems like the Yank converters are a little more tow/daily driver friendly than some of the other brands but they are more expensive and don't perform as aggressively at the track so I'd get the Yank 3000 if I were you