PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Need advice for cam/converter in CCSB! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/need-advice-cam-converter-ccsb-503070/)

jvoisel 06-09-2012 05:22 PM

Need advice for cam/converter in CCSB!

1 Attachment(s)
I've been planning for a while to do a cam/converter swap in my truck, but I've never been able to fully decide on what I want. This is going in my DD, but I'm not really worried about to gas mileage. Budget is around 2k, just looking for some extra power to make it more fun to drive. Here's the truck

Attachment 135539
06 Sierra
5.3/4L60/3.73s, only mods so far are a K&N, LPP longtubes, vette servo, and a custom tune

First off is the cam. I've only been around a few cammed trucks and I loved the sound of a friends 5.3 with a TR224-112 but it was definitely somewhat of a slouch with only a stock tb converter. I think I'd like to go with something around the same size, if not bigger but this is my first time doing this so that's why I'm asking. In case I missed it, I love the lope. Push rods and springs to go with cam of course.

I know the converter should compliment the cam, but i'm still undecided between the $400 Circle D 3200 converter that most people recommend or if I should go with one of the more expensive Circle D/Yank converters with a higher stall around 3600. I've never driven anything that had a custom converter in it, but I hear that the Circle D 3200 drives like stock and I want a little more than that, but don't want to hate driving it. Trans will be otherwise stock with the exception of a trucool 40k cooler and if it's recommended I'll swap my vette servo out for the fairbanks. I don't do any heavy towing with the truck, and my cluster also has a trans temp gauge so I can keep an eye on that. Figured I'd keep the factory 3.73s and add a truetrac from Ron's also

That's probably the end of my budget but I'm open to all suggestions on what to do. I'll more than likely be ordering all of this next week and plan to install it all at the same time too.

bluebommer07 06-09-2012 06:10 PM

Your on the right track buddy, there's alot of options out there and i wish i had the budget u have lol.. but on a serious note bigger isn't always better from what i have heard. like you said that tr224-112 is a proven cam along with tsp 220 high lift and u can get it in 111-115 lsa. also cant forget heads prc 2.5 are in my top 5 but if u want affordable go with the 243 heads p&p,mill and so on... but as we both know im a novice in all this area but have read and ask many of ?s over the past months and these guys have helped a ton. so i know someone will be able to help you much better.:chug:

jvoisel 06-09-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by bluebommer07 (Post 4936044)
Your on the right track buddy, there's alot of options out there and i wish i had the budget u have lol.. but on a serious note bigger isn't always better from what i have heard. like you said that tr224-112 is a proven cam along with tsp 220 high lift and u can get it in 111-115 lsa. also cant forget heads prc 2.5 are in my top 5 but if u want affordable go with the 243 heads p&p,mill and so on... but as we both know im a novice in all this area but have read and ask many of ?s over the past months and these guys have helped a ton. so i know someone will be able to help you much better.:chug:

Yeah man I thought about the TSP 224R on 111lsa too, I'd get that over the TR224 but figured I'd get a few better opinions on here. Only thing good about the TR cams is I can run to Baton Rogue and pick it up

jvoisel 06-09-2012 06:24 PM

Also, since Thunder Racing sells TCI/P.I. converters those are also in the mix now since I could order it and pick it up from them.

bluebommer07 06-09-2012 06:30 PM

yep thats a drive i know you would love to take lol

jrmchevyman 06-09-2012 06:37 PM

With you being a heavy CC truck and basically a Stock 5.3L currently, I would go tsp220 / tr220 at the max imo. A circled 3200 is going to be better than a stock TB converter your buddy had, but if you want to get more out of the setup you might want to look at a 3400rpm smaller diameter converter. Later on you can get some new heads and possibly mill them a tad if need be depending on the heads you go for to bump up the compression ratio.

Without all the proper supporting mods, most people will probably recommend you a torque cam such as the comp 212/218.

pewterliftedz 06-09-2012 06:43 PM

If you don't do any towing, I would look into a 9.5" 3600 converter. It be a little looser, but you'll love it with the 224. A set of milled 243s would be next on the list.

jvoisel 06-09-2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by jrmchevyman (Post 4936059)
With you being a heavy CC truck and basically a Stock 5.3L currently, I would go tsp220 / tr220 at the max imo. A circled 3200 is going to be better than a stock TB converter your buddy had, but if you want to get more out of the setup you might want to look at a 3400rpm smaller diameter converter. Later on you can get some new heads and possibly mill them a tad if need be depending on the heads you go for to bump up the compression ratio.

Without all the proper supporting mods, most people will probably recommend you a torque cam such as the comp 212/218.

Yeah I honestly don't want to go with the comp 212/218. The tsp 220 sounds good too, will definitely be looking into heads though.

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz (Post 4936063)
If you don't do any towing, I would look into a 9.5" 3600 converter. It be a little looser, but you'll love it with the 224. A set of milled 243s would be next on the list.

I have a work truck for any towing that I need to do, so that's what I'm thinking too. Not sure what it'd cost to get some milled 243's, but I could possibly look into that instead of the truetrac for now. I'd rather do the heads now so I don't have to swap the springs over in a few weeks anyways. I don't even know where to start with heads though.

pewterliftedz 06-09-2012 06:54 PM

Tru trac is a must. They are prone to blowing and taking out transmissions. I swapped to a tru trac and sold my working G80 for 200 bucks. That would be the first thing on my list.

jvoisel 06-09-2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz (Post 4936069)
Tru trac is a must. They are prone to blowing and taking out transmissions. I swapped to a tru trac and sold my working G80 for 200 bucks. That would be the first thing on my list.

Will do that then, where do I look/what is average cost for heads as I would need them?