Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler search............

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow- quite a journey there, Mike. Thanks for input. The Borla is settling in sound wise real nice- the thing is with these Gen 5 trucks the cab is bank vault quiet. I'm gonna finish the pipe to the corner of the bumper as on Denalis, I think that's why I'm getting that mega phony sound now is because of the cutoff over the axle. I'll post up a vid when I'm done with that...……………..
Old 05-03-2019, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you at least add a turn down so its just not blowing exhaust all over the under side of the bed?

other then that sounds perfect and close to my 18" magnaflow dose.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah a turn down will be a little more mellow than just cut underneath the cab and help exhaust not get inside. It is more quiet with an actual tip though, it doesn't echo and reflect off the ground and usually has a rolled edge, slash cut or whatever that makes a smoother transition to the atmosphere. Even straight cut pipe that's not dumped under will usually make weird buzz or whistle noises. Tips aren't just for looks!

I went through a similar test on my Camaro, only that was spread out over a few years not months, exhaust work is exhausting! I'll try to post pics and video if anyone is interested.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cut closer to the muffler to see how ghetto'd I can get the truck to sound. But really- gonna have some time here and cut closer to muffler, makes a difference especially when ya start it up. Sounds less focused pretty much all over, really lookin' forward to exiting at the bumper, I'll post a vid...………….
Old 05-07-2019, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOnder if I went with too big of pipe as it's kinda boomy/ un focused at lower rpms...….
Old 05-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just made a little video of mine. Cold start up, then you can hear how quiet it gets in less than a minute. Then a regular take off followed by a strong take off, not flooring it though. Then a nice quiet cruise.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, Mike. I think I'm a resonator away from nirvana. Now for some good news; gets up to speed on the onramp with much less effort, when chopping the throttle on an off ramp I get some burble. It winds out thru the rpms more freely and smoothly and when I stomp on it it gets up and goes unlike B4 it almost felt like the knock sensors were going crazy and pulling timing. Real happy and, thanks again mad on the recommendation- it's the most perfect muffler...…………….

Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra
Nice, Mike. I think I'm a resonator away from nirvana. Now for some good news; gets up to speed on the onramp with much less effort, when chopping the throttle on an off ramp I get some burble. It winds out thru the rpms more freely and smoothly and when I stomp on it it gets up and goes unlike B4 it almost felt like the knock sensors were going crazy and pulling timing. Real happy and, thanks again mad on the recommendation- it's the most perfect muffler...…………….
Glad you like it.

It will get a little deeper over time.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks- I guess my actual question is, what size resonator would be best; a long large diameter one or a short one with hardly a case around it? The tone(and volume) is fine and great, it's just sometimes in those low load, sub 2100 rpm areas it can get ridiculous. So I'd say really I'm looking to 'tighten' up the exhaust note...………
TIA

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 05-09-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

When I still had the 5.3 catback on my truck I put a large case magnaflow in place of the stock muffler. Cut out the flap. And left the stock resonator and piping in place.

It was perfect everywhere at all times. I could hear it start up when I remote started it from inside the house, but very quiet deep low rumble. It never droned anywhere at any time. It was all around awesome. It picked up a lot of power and mpg too.

Quick Reply: Muffler search............