Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cleaning Head Gaskets off the deck....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Head Gaskets off the deck....

How are you guys doing it? Most of the time I just use roloc discs but that is messy. Heads are getting cleaned and decked. But how are all of you normally cleaning the engine side without getting crap everywhere.....
Old 11-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CF7GO
How are you guys doing it? Most of the time I just use roloc discs but that is messy. Heads are getting cleaned and decked. But how are all of you normally cleaning the engine side without getting crap everywhere.....
3M makes Roloc style "Bristle Discs" that are designed specifically for cleaning gasket surfaces. They work great for cleaning the deck in no time, although they do throw a lot of dust, which I know you're trying to avoid.

If your set on doing it by hand, lots of brake cleaner, scotchbrite pads, and razor blades. Once the bulk is gone, wiping with acetone and using the acetone with the scotchbrite. No easy way around it when you're doing it by hand. The only advantage is you have don't have to worry about as much dust getting into the oil galleys and down in the rings.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Rags stuff in places you don't want crap going and a steel brush on a 90 degree die grinder is what I use. Put the piston in the hole, clean the surface and go to the next one. Shop vac works great too.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

I always do it by hand. Especially on aluminum surfaces. Basically, Razor blades, WD40 and red scotchbrite, brake clean or acetone depending on what I have... I also block off any passages too before starting.

I don't like those 3M Bristle Discs for the dust you mentioned. There also slight on the abrasive side and can disturb the machined finish.

I know there is now a spray on gasket remover that lifts the adhesive but I have not used it yet.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input! I will try the ways you guys suggested!