PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Ls6 Oil Pump?? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/ls6-oil-pump-258992/)

jmproductions 01-07-2005 08:37 PM

Ls6 Oil Pump??

I see a lot of people on here talking about an LS6 oil pump as a mod. I am nearly 100% sure that there is no such thing despite the way aftermarket pumps are labeled as LS6. In fact when I was looking for a new pump, I couldn't even find an aftermarket pump that wasn't just an OEM pump that was modified and/or blueprinted. Are they better? Maybe, but my ported "LS6" pump from Texas Speed was indentical down to the same part number cast as my OEM 4.8 pump. Is it a good idea to replace your pump? Absolutely.. mine quit at 65,000 miles. But if anyone knows of a difference between the truck motor pump and an LS6 pump, I'd love to hear it.

99Silver6.0 01-07-2005 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jmproductions
I see a lot of people on here talking about an LS6 oil pump as a mod. I am nearly 100% sure that there is no such thing despite the way aftermarket pumps are labeled as LS6. In fact when I was looking for a new pump, I couldn't even find an aftermarket pump that wasn't just an OEM pump that was modified and/or blueprinted. Are they better? Maybe, but my ported "LS6" pump from Texas Speed was indentical down to the same part number cast as my OEM 4.8 pump. Is it a good idea to replace your pump? Absolutely.. mine quit at 65,000 miles. But if anyone knows of a difference between the truck motor pump and an LS6 pump, I'd love to hear it.

LS6 pump will work in the truck motors. I used a plain old LS6 pump. Although I did have to get a different pickup tube o-ring. The pricey LS6 pumps are gonna be the same cast. But they are modified, ported and such. Shims are put inside the relief valve to kick up oil pressure. And the inlet where the pickup tube goes is cleaned of any flaws etc, etc. Melling makes a pretty good ported pump from what I hear also! It can be bought from Jegs or Summit I believe. As far as phsyical differences, shit. I am almost sure the pickup size on the LS6 pump is a tad bigger. I ordered 2 different part numbered o-rings because I didnt know which would work. But it wasnt the same as what my truck had stock.

greentahoe 01-07-2005 08:44 PM

Very interesting. I had decided to go with an LS6 pump as opposed to a ported one due to the higher failure rate (that Ive read) of the ported pump. Ive actually been searching this topic all night!!
I would think that the LS6 oil pump would be a higher volume pump due tot the LS6's much higher rpm range.
Id love to hear other's ideas. If enough say to go for the ported thats the way I'll go. :cheers:

99Silver6.0 01-07-2005 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Very interesting. I had decided to go with an LS6 pump as opposed to a ported one due to the higher failure rate (that Ive read) of the ported pump. Ive actually been searching this topic all night!!
I would think that the LS6 oil pump would be a higher volume pump due tot the LS6's much higher rpm range.
Id love to hear other's ideas. If enough say to go for the ported thats the way I'll go. :cheers:

I shyed away from the ported pump. I really dont think I need ungodly high oil pressure.

I did find the part number!!
Plain LS6 oil pump: 12586665

jmproductions 01-07-2005 09:20 PM

I have a ported LS6 pump now, it looks nice inside but I didn't notice any change in oil pressure. The pickup tube and o-ring fit the same way as they fit the stock pump on mine. Like I said before, it looks identical and has the same GM part number as the stock truck pump.

The pump doesn't really fail, it's the check valve inside. The piston gets stuck in the partially open position and game over. I also think GM dropped the ball on that pick-up tube design coming into the pump, having to drop the pan was disappointing.

99Silver6.0 01-07-2005 09:45 PM

I have a ported LS6 pump now, it looks nice inside but I didn't notice any change in oil pressure. The pickup tube and o-ring fit the same way as they fit the stock pump on mine. Like I said before, it looks identical and has the same GM part number as the stock truck pump.

The pump doesn't really fail, it's the check valve inside. The piston gets stuck in the partially open position and game over. I also think GM dropped the ball on that pick-up tube design coming into the pump, having to drop the pan was disappointing.

My numbers were different. I can go see whats on my stock pump for sure but I do know they were different. I had to use a different o-ring for the LS6 pump on my truck... Wierd wild stuff.. :nod:

greentahoe 01-08-2005 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
My numbers were different. I can go see whats on my stock pump for sure but I do know they were different. I had to use a different o-ring for the LS6 pump on my truck... Wierd wild stuff.. :nod:

I ran across a thread in the internal engine section while searching that said that all trucks 01 and later had the "LS6 pump".

jmproductions 01-11-2005 03:31 PM

I ran across a thread in the internal engine section while searching that said that all trucks 01 and later had the "LS6 pump".

Well, that would explain it. I read that there were more failures with pumps before 2000, I think. Maybe using this different pump was an attempt to resolve that issue. Regardless in my case it didn't help and I have been running Mobile 1 full synthetic since the truck was new.

greentahoe 01-11-2005 03:35 PM

Well, that would explain it. I read that there were more failures with pumps before 2000, I think. Maybe using this different pump was an attempt to resolve that issue. Regardless in my case it didn't help and I have been running Mobile 1 full synthetic since the truck was new.

Did you go with a ported one this time around? Maybe there isnt any truth to the ported LS6 pumps going out faster than the stock ones. I still have decided if Im going to spend the extra $100 for a ported one over what I can get a stock one for. Im running out of time too. :bang:

jmproductions 01-11-2005 09:14 PM

Did you go with a ported one this time around? Maybe there isnt any truth to the ported LS6 pumps going out faster than the stock ones. I still have decided if Im going to spend the extra $100 for a ported one over what I can get a stock one for. Im running out of time too. :bang:

Yes, I bought a ported pump from Texas Speed and Performance. I think it was like $130-140 or something like that, they're real good and got it out fast. However, my advice would be to save your money and get an OEM pump online. I don't think it matters because you're really just getting an OEM pump no matter which one you buy.