PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   LS1 oil pan -> 5.3 block? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/ls1-oil-pan-5-3-block-304062/)

vortec_7 04-10-2005 07:18 PM

LS1 oil pan -> 5.3 block?

Hey I was wondering if anyone has fitted an LS1 oil pan onto a 5.3 truck engine before. I'm researching for a hybrid conversion and I read that the truck oil pan is 3" lower than the LS1 and that is cause for concern...

vortec_7 04-10-2005 08:37 PM

sdfssdfs

SnakeOiler 04-10-2005 08:42 PM

It should have no problem bolting up, but I would think you would have to use an LS1 oil pump with it. Or maybe its just a different pickup tube.

vortec_7 04-10-2005 08:49 PM

yeah im hoping its just the pickuop tube

GREGGO 04-10-2005 10:17 PM

Pick up tube is different. Pump is fine. Yes it will bolt right up. I have an LS1 pick up tube if you need one. $10 and it's yours. Guy sent me the wrong one when I got another part from him.

tdogg5.3 04-10-2005 10:22 PM

i thought the f-body oil pans held a quart less of oil than the truck pans. I swear i heard that somewhere.

GREGGO 04-10-2005 10:28 PM

Now that I don't remember. How much oil does an LS1 take? Let me go look.

Ross @ EDO 04-10-2005 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by GREGGO
Now that I don't remember. How much oil does an LS1 take? Let me go look.

6qts, same as our trucks

GREGGO 04-10-2005 10:33 PM

6 quarts!!! on an LS1!

Edit: beat me to it.

vanillagorilla 04-11-2005 12:00 AM

What kind of vehicle is this going in if you don't mind me asking? You might run in to clearance issues with any of LSX pans, due to the engine cross-member. I know for first gen camaros, we just cut the pan back a bit. You might have to do something similar as its a pretty unique pan.

vortec_7 04-11-2005 02:12 PM

2nd gen rx7. i know for a fact that an ls1 will work, they make kits, and as long as the ls1 and the truck blocks are the same it will work.

vanillagorilla 04-11-2005 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by vortec_7
2nd gen rx7. i know for a fact that an ls1 will work, they make kits, and as long as the ls1 and the truck blocks are the same it will work.

Cool beans. That sounds like it will be really cool! Post up some pics of the progress! What trans and rear-end are you planning on using? :)

TigerFan187 04-11-2005 03:58 PM

I know it you cant bolt the LS1 pan up to the 03+ trucks because of cross member but you should be cool with a RX-7!

ZYA_LTR 04-11-2005 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
I know it you cant bolt the LS1 pan up to the 03+ trucks because of cross member but you should be cool with a RX-7!

He's not asking if it will fit in our trucks, just if it will fit the block itself, and like they said above yes it will, all gen 3 blocks will fit it, F or Y body, or truck pans are interchangeable.

TigerFan187 04-11-2005 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ZYA_LTR
He's not asking if it will fit in our trucks, just if it will fit the block itself, and like they said above yes it will, all gen 3 blocks will fit it, F or Y body, or truck pans are interchangeable.

I understand he is talking about a RX7 can you read? I couldnt use the F-bod pan with my setup because of the c-member.

ZYA_LTR 04-11-2005 11:27 PM

I understand he is talking about a RX7 can you read? I couldnt use the F-bod pan with my setup because of the c-member.

Yes i can read, no where in his question did he ask what oil pans would fit in our trucks, which is what your reply was, he asked if the actual pan would fit the motor, so thanks for the help there bud.

vortec_7 04-11-2005 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Cool beans. That sounds like it will be really cool! Post up some pics of the progress! What trans and rear-end are you planning on using? :)

for the trans ill probably just use the truck 4l60e, and the rear is already an LSD 4.10 which is way too much gear but my only other option is to hack up a dana 36 c4 rear...and spend a lot of money doing it. i havent seen much on t-56 swaps for the truck motors and it seems that it would be expensive. the main reason im planning on going with the truck motor is the cost/benefit factor. they have as much hp as an LT1 but only cost 500-700 bucks, and i get the gen 3 architecture and a waaaaay better ignition. not to mention i can use pretty much any of the available LS1 bolt ons. that makes me happy.

i havent made any progress yet besides remving the 13b and 5 spd. i wanted to make sure it would work before i spent my mula. im probably going to have to do something with the intake as well as the oil pan, as it will be 3 inches taller than the LS1 intake and the LS1 already barely fits.

this shouldnt be a problem though because everyone around this board has LS1 intakes just sitting in their garages from when they switched to LS6's...and someone should give me their useless old LS1 intake for shipping costs. :D

vortec_7 04-11-2005 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by ZYA_LTR
Yes i can read, no where in his question did he ask what oil pans would fit in our trucks, which is what your reply was, he asked if the actual pan would fit the motor, so thanks for the help there bud.

he probably just added that bit about the truck because i posted in the truck forum.

TigerFan187 04-12-2005 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by vortec_7
he probably just added that bit about the truck because i posted in the truck forum.

Exactly and I understand that the pan will fit to the block but you usually put a block on a chassis or at least thats what do!

ZYA_LTR 04-12-2005 04:13 PM

Exactly and I understand that the pan will fit to the block but you usually put a block on a chassis or at least thats what do!

Yes i know that motors usually go on chassis' his is going on a RX7 not a truck like stated in the beginning, which i read, just didn't like being asked if i could read, since my original response was a direct answer to his question, because i read it, not stating facts non-pertinent to the question, as to keep the post from getting off subject as this has, so i apologize to the originator, and hope that all your questions have been, are being, and will be answered, as this site is a very informative one.