PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Long tubes for lq4 (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/long-tubes-lq4-550000/)

Badergr1 08-17-2017 09:19 PM

Long tubes for lq4

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum along with building motors/ trucks. I've been wanting to upgrade the exhaust on my 06 lq4 and was thinking about long tubes. I'm sold on either 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 but I don't know where to go from there. What's the best bang for the buck and will I be able to keep my stock exhaust pipe with an aftermarket muffler or would I have to get a whole new cat back exhaust to run long tubes? I have a diablo trinity and plan on getting diablew tubes to go with the headers. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

ZR1 DREAMING 08-18-2017 07:33 AM

Without a significantly modded 6.0, stay with 1-3/4". There's a few options out there, I have a set of coated Pacesetters for sale that'll save you like $130 from a new set.

ARH has a real nice set out but they are very spendy. SE has a set out that's pretty cheap, but they aren't coated.

Here's mine if you're interested:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ls-etc-549917/

Badergr1 08-18-2017 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by ZR1 DREAMING (Post 5417031)
Without a significantly modded 6.0, stay with 1-3/4". There's a few options out there, I have a set of coated Pacesetters for sale that'll save you like $130 from a new set.

ARH has a real nice set out but they are very spendy. SE has a set out that's pretty cheap, but they aren't coated.

Here's mine if you're interested:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ls-etc-549917/

What do you think about speed engineering? I can get a set of stainless ones with the y pipe and gm gaskets for 400 bucks. They're a little on the cheaper than most but I've heard good reviews. If I can save some cash by getting those it would be cool if they're what they're cracked up to be.

ezdaar 08-18-2017 08:49 AM

Everyone who doesnt want mild steel shit or over priced name brand headers runs speed engineering.
You couldnt pay me to run pacesetter/obx garbage or over priced stainless works lr american racing headers.

Get the 1 7/8, LS like big fat ass primarys.

53bowtie 08-18-2017 09:20 AM

No complaints here with my Texas Speed 1 3/4" stainless with ORY. Think they are similar price to Speed Engineering but I may have bought them on sale, can't remember.....

terravast4 08-18-2017 12:09 PM

I had a pair of 1 3/4 stainless works then upped to 1 7/8 texas speed. The texas speed is every bit as good as the stainless works at half the price and fit perfect

ZR1 DREAMING 08-18-2017 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Badergr1 (Post 5417034)
What do you think about speed engineering? I can get a set of stainless ones with the y pipe and gm gaskets for 400 bucks. They're a little on the cheaper than most but I've heard good reviews. If I can save some cash by getting those it would be cool if they're what they're cracked up to be.

If you don't mind the material then go for it, they work.

Originally Posted by ezdaar (Post 5417036)
Get the 1 7/8, LS like big fat ass primarys.

If you mod further than your initial post then get the larger ones, otherwise jumping to 1-7/8 without a cam and converter isn't going to benefit you.

RNSAK 09-07-2017 01:09 PM

SS or 2500HD?

If it's an 06 2500HD like mine your not going to find a bolt in long tube system that is correct. The problem is with any long tube set up on these trucks you'll need the intermediate pipes to bolt to your factory exhaust system, you'll also likely have to grind a tab off the P/S of the transmission, and will likely have at least one exhaust manifold bolt broke off in the head, I had 3 broke off. (if ordering from ARH make sure to specify their for a 2500HD otherwise you'll get intermediate pipes for an SS which don't fit correctly at all). The other major problem is while these kits replace the driver side cat there are no provisions at all to replace the passenger side cat, it is hard lined to your muffler along with the down stream 02 sensor bung. So if your going to put long tubes on your 06 2500HD plan on replacing the entire exhaust system to make it right.

RNSAK 09-07-2017 02:14 PM

I looked at speed engineering, if what's pictured on their sight is what you get and your application is an 06 2500HD those won't bolt up to ypur system. To the best of my knowledge all 2500HD's with the LQ4 from 01 to 06 have 3" dual pipes coming off the manifolds, dual cats, and 3" dual through the muffler, after the muffler it Y's to a single 3.5" exit. In 07 when they went to the new body style is when they started going to a single 3.5" exit after the manifolds/cats instead of the dual like the older body style has. However you very likely could get the speed engineering headers, remove all your factory exhaust and do a single 3.5" exit, if you need to retain cats you'll have to figure that out. FYI I've Installed ARH headers with high flow cats on both my 2500HD and a friend's 2007 2500HD, so I'm speaking from my own personal experience.

1994Vmax 09-07-2017 09:35 PM

Speed engineering and then build an exhaust... the stock 2 7/8" pipes and cats aren't that great to start with considering the flattened sections and what not....so why waste time with it. Into the metal bin and bliss lol. I won't ever buy that expensive shit again considering what you actually get.