Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets discuss Intake manifolds LS1 vs LS6 vs Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets discuss Intake manifolds LS1 vs LS6 vs Truck

Been doing a little reasearch and have come to the conclusion that the LS6 is superior to the truck intake. Now I don't have all the flow numbers yet. Sure the truck is designed for the low end torque, but isn't longer runners the theory on poviding torque? If so, the runners are only 1mm longer. Now if your racing a heavy truck, you may need that low end boost, but how much more does it really provide? That is what I want to find out. I'm thinking the better numbers on the LS6 intake will provide better times at the end of the track than the truck intake. Here are some numbers I put together with specific part numbers per piece. There may be more than one part number, but the specs are the same. Oh yea, you will have to change the drive belt routing to run the car intake due to the location of the TB and alt idler pully. But I bet you could use the brackets from a car. You may have to swap power steering pumps to. I haven't gotten that far yet with the reasearch.

1997-2000 LS1: #12556333
-5.06 liter Plenum vol
-262mm runner
-.536 liters runner vol

2001+ LS6: # 12573572
-5.19 liters Plenum vol
-262mm runner
-.541 liters runner vol

2002 Truck (LR4,LM7,LQ4 # 12574009)
-4.0 liters Plenum vol
-263mm runner
-.513 liter runner vol
Old 05-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lets discuss Intake manifolds LS1 vs LS6 vs Truck

Greg - I would say the LS6 intake is definately better if your going to run a decent stall or a bigger motor swap. One thing I've noticed with my truck is that the power seems to kick in a couple hundred rpm earlier than with my car. Since the intake isn't the only difference that's not a very good comparison though.

There use to be a thread in the internal/external engine section that showed a flow comparison of LS1/LS6/Truck intakes. The truck intake outflowed the LS1. The truck intake and LS6 were almost equal down low but, the LS6 really pulled away up high. That's probably due to the big difference in plenum volume. I'll try to find that thread.

This weeked if it stops raining for a while I'll try to get some detailed pictures of the bracket/accessory setups on the car and truck. I'm pretty sure the power steering lines would need to be reworked, the a/c lines may be Ok, water pump hoses should be Ok also. The alternator hookups would probably have to be lengthened a little since the alternator on the cars is low on the drivers side. The EGR would have to go. There is probably some other misc. things that I'll try to see about if I can get some pics.

I think it could really benefit the truck crowd to get a LS6 intake swap worked out because all of the aftermarket intake work is concentrated on designs that will fit under the F-body cowl.

John
Old 05-09-2003, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I would have to agree that the LS6 intake flows better to some extent too, how far I can not say. I would not be interested in doing the swap if there are lots of mods to be done. Now if a company made a direct fit truck manifold that features a bit more top end flow, that would be great.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be looking to have an LS6 intake on the 5.3L in my truck by the end of summer. I have been looking at my buddy's camaros and yes, the backs of the F-body alternators have a different casting than the trucks. You can find a used F-body alt. for around $70-$80. The power steering pump from our trucks, I think will work with the F-body power steering bracket that bolts to the drivers side head. (not 100% sure though) If it doesn't work, I have not been able to find a price for a used F-body power steering pump. Good Luck with finding these accesories and brackets though. It seems no motor comes with these still on it - I think GM makes them out of gold and then just paints them gray You need the LS6 valley cover too as the coolant lines are routed inside of the cover because of the LS6 intake's increased air volume. The bottom of the LS6 intake would hit the truck coolant lines that are currently on top of the valley cover. Used valley cover = about $75.
I would not be doing this for just a bolt on unless there is a need to. It is going to be crazy$$$ I bet gains would only be about 10-15rwhp in the upper rpms, unless you have a monster cam and you needed to breath much more up at the top rpms. Or in my case I need to lower the manifold so I can plumb some pipes over it to an intercooler for the Whipple
Old 05-09-2003, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope that you are going to supercharge that applications, otherwise I don't think it would be worth the time and money if you don't get a decent gain over 15 horsepower from it. The cost and swapping of parts seems exorberant(don't know how to spell that word)!
Old 05-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Banned

greg, what about throttle cables, remember our cables are setup to come out and hook up to a throttlebody that is about 4" higher than the one on the ls1/ls6 intake manifold. that's the only thing that's kept me from doing this in the past...someone like MTI needs to come up with a conversion kit for the trucks to run the ls6 intake. that would be sweet.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

greg, what about throttle cables, remember our cables are setup to come out and hook up to a throttlebody that is about 4" higher than the one on the ls1/ls6 intake manifold. that's the only thing that's kept me from doing this in the past...someone like MTI needs to come up with a conversion kit for the trucks to run the ls6 intake. that would be sweet.
MTI is one of the places I have been talking with about this. And no, I won't be supercharging. But while on the gas, it will have a dramatic improvment. As far as the cooling lines, that should be an easy swap. Just get the ones from a 2001+ LS1. It's no small project and probably won't happen until I get the motor swap complete (if that ever happens at my pace ). I would like to do it with the new motor as a before and after project.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:50 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been working on this for the Escalade project. The plan is to run the polished Holley intake with a direct port setup. I think we are just going to run a car water pump to clear the coolant hose then build a custom alternator / pulley bracket. The Escalade has the HD style power steering and power brake setup. I don't even want to mess with trying to move that. That means electric fans since the cars water pump doesnt support a fan. With the E-fans, it will be easier to run a good air intake.

Greg - I read the same thing about the LS6 / truck intakes being virtually the same runner lengths. That kind of throws out the theory of longer runners making more torque on the truck intake.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know if this is new for 2003, but my throttle body is completely cableless. It is completely electronic. There is a sensor on the pivot point of the pedal, then just a 8 wire plug that attaches to the Throttle Body. ON the side of the TB, there is an electric motor that opens the flap for the TB. Maybe this is something else that can be incorporated in the manifold swap. The TB seems just as big as my friends 2000 6.0, just cableless.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know if this is new for 2003, but my throttle body is completely cableless. It is completely electronic. There is a sensor on the pivot point of the pedal, then just a 8 wire plug that attaches to the Throttle Body. ON the side of the TB, there is an electric motor that opens the flap for the TB. Maybe this is something else that can be incorporated in the manifold swap. The TB seems just as big as my friends 2000 6.0, just cableless.

[/quote]

I didn't realize that the 03's were drive by wire. I thought that was only on the Escalade variations. Shouldn't affect the intake manifold swap though. If anything it may be easier!!

Quick Reply: Lets discuss Intake manifolds LS1 vs LS6 vs Truck