Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Kind of new to gas performance and need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of new to gas performance and need help!

Like I said I'm kinda new to the gas performance scene. I've been into diesels mostly and know a good bit about them but am completely clueless when it comes to these gas motors. I've got a 2011 Silverado with 4.8. I had a super chip on it for a little while but didn't like it so I sold it pretty quick. I'm wanting to do a cam and long tubes and obviously it will need a tune after I do that. My main question is what would be the best cam to run on it? Truck gets drove daily right now till my little truck gets out of the shop. Mainly use it just to run around in and it occasionally pulls the boat to the lake. I mainly just want a little more speed and pulling power out of it. Thanks in advance
Old 08-18-2017, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I suggest you stay more mild on the camshaft if it's a daily driver and you wish to hang on to the stock stall converter. Also to keep that 4L60e happy as they aren't very strong.

Do some poking around for mild setups for idea's but a good choice is somewhere in the 212/218 with a 114 LSA for a nice mild cam.

I'd suggest HP Tuners if you are looking to purchase tuning software and do it yourself. Learn how to use it on a stock motor first though, much easier to understand what is going on on a bone stock motor as you learn it, if you go that route.

Texas speed, speed engineering etc all sell nice long tune headers.