Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I got ripped off by a shady mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks yes as far as price i understand it was super cheap for what it was but he has done some good work to some friends of mine whom reccomended me to him i payed 2400 cam and rebuild i know super cheap for what it is he warrantied the engine which is great but got the engine with block still dirty and greasy when it was supposedly coming from machine shop still had low oil pressure he had left the old pump left old pcv valve covers time frames always kept changing because this and that some not pertaining to truck and finally got the cam card after weeks of asking ive taken it back do to being his work several times without charge and everytime it was it needs this too it need that too and well it was like well why didnt it get done or it was too much this part came out defective this part did too and what not little things to me felt like getting scammed thats what i mean by that
Old 06-25-2019, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Well if he promised an actual full rebuild then its obviously not been done. Lots of people toss that term around and have differing ideas of a rebuild but that makes sense. That said rings and rolling in bearings is a rebuild... and those stupid trucks gauges show low pressure all the time. You have a pressure relief in the oil pan above the oil filter that is fully open by 55 psi so if that wasn't removed that's where I would look. Even my 6.2 reads 64 psi at 4000 rpm hot at the oil filter and i never crack 48 psi on the old scanner so..... lol.. Same for idle... 30 psi on the factory gauge and scanner and 45 at the filter lol.

And why does the stock afm cam cause misfires (nowhere did I say at specifically idle either) is because the differing duration and lift on the afm lobes versus the non afm cylinders after you delete the afm lifters.... That is why lol.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 06-25-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok yeah im also having trouble finding someone who can tune it a little bit more mainly to replace catalytics or hollow them out and override the lower o2 sensors on those cats
Old 06-25-2019, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The video was an idle video, you commented on how there would be a misfire, the truck only idled in the video; cant exactly fault me for assuming you meant "misfire at idle".

You would be the first person Ive met that believes the OE AFM cams misfire after a lifter replacement. I dont own an AFM truck, so I dont want to open that can of worms, but your statement assumes that the lifters were replaced as well, and we have no verification of that.

Tuning this thing should be easy. Any dyno shop in your area will be able to tune it via HPTuners or EFILive. If they cant, they wont be in business very long. Start calling dyno shops
Old 06-25-2019, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by arthursc2
The video was an idle video, you commented on how there would be a misfire, the truck only idled in the video; cant exactly fault me for assuming you meant "misfire at idle".

You would be the first person Ive met that believes the OE AFM cams misfire after a lifter replacement. I dont own an AFM truck, so I dont want to open that can of worms, but your statement assumes that the lifters were replaced as well, and we have no verification of that.

Tuning this thing should be easy. Any dyno shop in your area will be able to tune it via HPTuners or EFILive. If they cant, they wont be in business very long. Start calling dyno shops
Lol.. Well he says it was to delete afm with that cam so... Google is your friend man... it's pretty common knowledge out there on why you don't reuse the stock afm cam with afm deletes.... has been for years. This forum is dead... used to be great and now has maybe a dozen active members so maybe you need to branch out.. I dunno.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 06-25-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't own anything AFM, no need to branch out
Old 06-25-2019, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't own anything AFM, no need to branch out
Neither do I... it's a knowledge and experience thing I am referencing is all.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 06-25-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Lol.. Well he says it was to delete afm with that cam so...
True, but we can't verify any of that because he isn't sure the work was done properly, or at all. I still believe the best course of action is a dyno session. With an oil pressure gauge to verify the dash gauge is bonkers or accurate
Old 06-25-2019, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

True, but we can't verify any of that because he isn't sure the work was done properly, or at all. I still believe the best course of action is a dyno session. With an oil pressure gauge to verify the dash gauge is bonkers or accurate
Maybe. Easy to tell if its afm or not by pulling a valve cover and taking a look. Can't miss the lifters. I really question the accuracy of how guys including myself test oil pressure on an LS. I want to hook directly to the port the sending unit sits in as opposed to the oil filter spin on tool which most places use. You have a relief valve downstream of the oil filter on a gen iv as well as all the other losses in the engine. I will get an adapter one of these days and use one of my gen iv's as a Guinea pig.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 06-25-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:08 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I test at the front oil port of the block. This is straight out of the pump

Quick Reply: I think I got ripped off by a shady mechanic