PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   How important are boost and air to fuel guages? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/how-important-boost-air-fuel-guages-347249/)

JimS 08-23-2005 04:04 PM

How important are boost and air to fuel guages?

When I got my tune from Nelson the literature he sent made it sound imperative that I have boost and a/f guages. I don't really think I need them but what do I know!

I don't know where I'd mount them other than in the dash pillar. I have a beige interior and I doubt that I could get a guage pillar that would match the dash. I do have several interior pieces painted black so I guess I could do the dash pillars black. Not a bad idea now that I stop to visualize it. Or.... do the guage pillars come to match interior colors?

Do you think I REALLY have to have the boost and a/f guages?

cbrich 08-23-2005 04:20 PM

I am mounting a couple of gauges in the A-pillar on my truck, the pillar orginal came black and I used a dye that is specially made for plastic to change the color to tan.

I would not worry about a boost gauge or A/F gauge unless you have a turbocharger or supercharger. If you do then both, are neccessary.

zippy 08-23-2005 04:34 PM

one of my customers has a Silverado SS that has ran in the 12's. the truck has never had a boost gage in it and isn't going to. it's nice to have, but not required. if you go with an a/f ratio gauge it's not even worth having one unless it's a wideband gauge. also not required, just nice to have. the one gauge i do recomend is an aeroforce interceptor gauge. this will allow you to watch for KR* as well as watch your IAT's. this will tell you if you ever run into a fueling problem or have an issue with the intercooler leaking or pump failure.

Kerr 08-24-2005 09:03 AM

yea if your buy a guage get a wide bad. the cheap ricer air fuel that sweep back and forth dont tell you crap. But in a civic they look cool

Mike Oxlong 08-24-2005 09:36 AM

About the mounting question, I also looked for a color-matched pillar pod, no luck. But, VHT makes some GM color-match paint you could try. Here's a link to it at Jeg's

TURBHOE 08-24-2005 03:01 PM

yeah but wouldn't it be nice to know what your a/f was before you got kr. if your some one that like to know what all your eng is doing so you can be on top of things before the break instead of "whats that sound" and then boom there goes your motor. i would say if you have the money then get it. just my $.02

JimS 08-24-2005 09:59 PM

Whats kr?

04Denali 08-24-2005 10:04 PM

KR, knock, ping and than eventualy Boom! I went to a store called auto industrial and they take a special camera out to your truck and take a picture of your trim and a computer matches it
Mark

Wilde Racing 08-25-2005 12:19 AM

I think you can only get a single gauge collum for the chevys, you can get a three gauge piller or a two gauge "plug" for the over head consol. (sp)
If you have the money, get the gauges.

I have a boost, pyro, fuel, and wide band gauges. and I catch myself watching my fuel pressure gauge the most.

JimS 08-25-2005 06:11 AM

I like the pillar if I can get one to match or paint to match. I ordered a can of that paint from Jegs that someone posted about... thanks. If I can't do a good pillar look then I'll maybe cut into the center console where the tape player and storage compartment below it reside. That would be a good spot for guages.