Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler choices-Beating the dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler choices-Beating the dead horse

Alright. I am thinking about making yet another muffler change. The magnaflow sounded fine before I added the longtubes and magnaflow high flow cats, but now its just not doin it for me. Plus I used to run around with the cutouts open pretty much full time, but with the new magnaflow cats, it is waaaaayyyyy too loud to do that for any length of time, and where I live there are too many cops so WOT blasts are not stealthy at all with open cutouts.

I am debating either going with dual hooker aerochambers or dual dynomax bullets. I have had bullets before I my other crew cab with LT's and they sounded good, but not real loud, but thinking with the new cats on this one, they might sound really good. I had a single aerochamber on my Z71 when I first got it for about a week. It was waaayyy too quiet for me, but again, with the LT's and aftermarket cats, it may sound completely different. I know one thing I did like about the aerochambers was the superior build quality and the Deep Deep sound to it.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:26 PM
formerly Moze (2/24/2012)

I like my Spin Techs. 2 cents.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Launching!

call me crazy but I don't see how the dynomax bullets will be quieter than the magnaflows?

anyway I have dual dynomax superturbos which sound good at idle but are a little too quiet otherwise for me. The radix is louder. I'm seriously considering switching to dual aerochambers.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still looking for a muffler too, which is deeper, the spintec or the hooker? I can't really afford the cat back systems right now. Just the muffler for now.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Default Mufflers

I have a set of SPINTECH mufflers for sale they are the same size as the race mufflers just a little quieter.

I LOVE MY SPINTECH EXHAUST SYSTEMS.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much? Give me a PM
Old 10-12-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

curtis check into the "IMCO" muffler, thats the one kevin has and it really sounds nice...
Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 PM
11 Second Truck Club

aerochamber
Old 10-13-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I thought about IMCO and Spintech. I'm not worried about it being quieter than my magnaflow. Just wanting a little different sound. And actually louder than my magnaflow would be welcome, but just not as loud as open cutouts.

One thing I do need some advice on and I'll ask you guys. Right now I am running true duals 2.5" all the way back with an x-pipe, magnaflow high flow cats with the ASM LT's. I had the true duals before the longtubes and cats, and it was fine. But now since adding the LT's and cats, I notice that sometimes in the mornings when I crank up the truck, I get a little pop or backfire almost sounds like as the truck is cranking. What could be the cause of this. The exhaust has always popped and burbled when slowing down from speed, could this just be a cause of the exhaust being setup the way it is?

Cause I am seriously considering, just removing all the x-pipe, dual cutouts and all true dual exhaust. I will have to add a magnaflow y-pipe to merge everything back together, but go with a 2.5" dual to single 3" magnaflow y-pipe and then run single 3" back to a cutout and a muffler of my choice, which will most likely be either an aerochamber, spintech, imco, or bullet. I would hope that this would clear up a lot of the popping and gargling/burbling of the exhaust and maybe notice a bit more down low performance. I really haven't been all that impressed with the true duals on this truck as much as I was on the crew cab I had, and wish that I has just gone with a single all along.

Suggestions and advice are very, very welcome.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Default headers

I have stainlessworks headers with the Dr. X X-pipe 2 SPINTECH Race mufflers with true duals and turn downs right before the axle and it sounds AWESOME

Quick Reply: Muffler choices-Beating the dead horse