PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   flex fuel 5.3 (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/flex-fuel-5-3-a-392555/)

JustDoIt 05-11-2007 06:45 AM

flex fuel 5.3

I just found out that I have the flex fuel 5.3 L59 I believe. Can any one tell me about this.

95ImpSS 05-11-2007 06:57 AM

My '02 Yukon had a flex fuel 5.3L LM7 (Z-code in VIN). That distinction lets you know you can run E85 (85% Ethanol) as a fuel source. It's a cleaner burning concentration of fuel designed to be more environmentally friendly. Yet, the cost is higher to make the stuff. If it's worth the overhead to your state's government, you may see a few E85 retail stations.

Louisiana's government officials tried to push that down here, but that vote was shot down.

kbracing96 05-11-2007 10:27 AM

Just what do you want to know? Flexfuel trucks have a larger fuel system, (bigger injectors and fuel pump). Usually E85 is cheaper, unless it being price gouges by the local fuel retailers. It contains 30% less energy per gal then regular gas, but is higher octane. The real world comparisons I have seen show it get about 10% less fuel economy and about 5% more power, but your mileage may very. For the most part, it needs to be about 30-40 cents a gal cheaper to be more economical than regular unleaded.

ramdaspadhye 05-11-2007 12:02 PM

Regular gas is 2.80/gallon here, and ethanol is 2.26 a gallon :)

Fillin up my 02 Yukon tonight!

95ImpSS 05-11-2007 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Just what do you want to know? Flexfuel trucks have a larger fuel system, (bigger injectors and fuel pump). Usually E85 is cheaper, unless it being price gouges by the local fuel retailers. It contains 30% less energy per gal then regular gas, but is higher octane. The real world comparisons I have seen show it get about 10% less fuel economy and about 5% more power, but your mileage may very. For the most part, it needs to be about 30-40 cents a gal cheaper to be more economical than regular unleaded.

I stand corrected on consumer pricing. :judge:

From a refining standpoint, it's not beneficial ($$$-wise) to push the production. Without getting into specifics (proprietary information), to create the "product blend" that is E85, refiners lose the use of a percentage of resources that are wasted to produce E85. Those lost resources could have been used in their original states to create a sizeable percentage of "regular product" that we use today (87 & 93 octane). Instead, those lost resources cannot be refined into useable fuel.

Obviously, environmental organizations are pushing to regulate a minimum requirement for refiners to produce E85 fuel. Refiners may not (necessarily) be in favor of it b/c it's lost revenue & low production. Question is... is the government willing to sacrifice the loss of economic revenue & resources to convert to E85, and restrict the production of "regular" fuel? Probably not... b/c that means less fuel production, resource value may increase, refining cost to increase... end result: higher E85 costs. Instead, you have a small percentage of retailers (in only certain areas of the country) selling it to give consumers a choice of what type of fuel they wish to burn. Hence, environmental orgs get what they want, and refiners are satisfied with not being forced to cut costs on existing production.

tahoe 05-11-2007 02:12 PM

If we look past the political BS, E85 is an exelent performance fuel.
Clean, soot free combustion, 104+ octane and is not produced by the arabs.

Support your local farmer when selecting your performance fuel.

//

kbracing96 05-11-2007 02:16 PM

If I could get it more readily around here I would redo my tune for it and run it for sure. Closes place that sells it to me is 60 miles away. When i was over there the other day, reg was 2.86 and E85 was 2.26. My truck is not flex fuel, but can change the tuning with efilive and could still run it. :) The turbo would LOVE it :D

JustDoIt 05-12-2007 06:42 AM

So its cheaper, cleaner and makes more power?

What is the stock HP rating for a 05 with the flex fuel 5.3?

I was just concerned that it was a low HP motor, but it is better correct?

tahoe 05-12-2007 08:19 AM

"but it is better correct?"

Correct.

(I have retuned my hoe to run on E85, works great.)

dropkick13 05-13-2007 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by tahoe
"but it is better correct?"

Correct.

(I have retuned my hoe to run on E85, works great.)

so do you run only on e85? what kind of mileage are you seeing?