PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   First Big Build and Need Advice and Help! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/first-big-build-need-advice-help-553178/)

RidinChevySolo97 07-13-2018 03:37 PM

First Big Build and Need Advice and Help!

Hey Gents, I’m a younger guy looking to start my first big build when I come back from this deployment so I’m just trying to plan now so I can start as soon as I get back.
It’s gonna be a 2000 Silverado Single Cab, It’s just a base model with the baby V6. I know basic stuff, I’ve done minor work my self but nothing this big so I’m calling on the experience of you guys!
My goal is a 1000rwhp hopefully running into the mid to high 9s on the weekends reliably.

Block- I’m planning on a LQ4 block with TSP Crank(I know stock cranks can hold it but I’d rather be safe than sorry). TSP H-Beam Rods with ARP Hardware and Weisco Pistons. Which Pistons would be best for this situation and why?(Sorry for all the Questions, just trying to learn as much as possible)

Heads- Ported and Polished 243s? Or 317s? Or Aftermarket? And why?(All ARP hardware as well)

Intake/TB- I was looking at Holley Sheet Metal Intakes but am open to all recommendations, also what size throttle body? DBW or DBC? Pro and cons of each?

Turbo- I’m new to the world of Turbos but I was thinking a Single 88mm, do I need bigger, smaller? What kit is best or am I better off with a custom made set up?(Any recommendations or wisdom/insight is appreciated)

Fuel System-(I don’t know much about Fuel Systems other than how they generally work) but what would y’all recommend for Rails/Pumps/Injectors? I was thinking Fuel Cell in the bed since it’s never used.

Transmission- I’ve been looking at Jakes and RPMs 4L80s, Based on the forums they seem to be the two go to guys for these transmissions.

Fuel Management - Should I stick with the stock ECM/HP tuners or go with something like a Holley Dominator? Pro and Cons of each?

I’m sure I’m missing a million and two things but just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I’m ready to begin in a few months.

I also know this all adds up in price quick but I’ve had this truck since I was 16(It’s my first truck) and understand this will be a long process of trial and error and saving up and waiting for parts. I’m wanting to build this truck with quality parts and will save up over periods of time for the better stuff if need be, I’m patient and also have a Harley to keep me entertained while I wait lol but if there is anything I’m missing, or misinformed about, or If there is anything y’all can recommend to make the process easier I’m listening and eager to learn! And thanks in advance for everything!

FFDP 07-13-2018 05:45 PM

Cylinder heads is a toss up, that selection will also changes your compression ratio. Either would make stupid amounts of power.

Holley High ram isn't a bad option or if you don't care about looks a stock NNBS truck intake would work fine. Cable throttle body, no drive by wire non sense. Your truck is a cable TB anyway. TB size can depend on intake you run.

A Borg Warner S480 would be large enough to make tons of power.

I don't know what fuel rails to say because you are not sure what intake you are going to run. I'd say go with two 450lph walbro pumps for plenty of fuel flow depending on E85 or pump gas. E85 would be ideal for really high horsepower. You'll need really big injectors too. Something like 130lb/hr or larger.

Stock computer will limit you some but can make great power. A holley system is way better as far as making everything custom. You have way more things to play with on a stand alone controller. Like launch control, boost by gear, boost limits for fuel/spark cut off.

I also think you'll find that 1000rwhp is way more than you'll want in the long run. Just getting 600-700whp to hook up is tough enough. Don't forget the money you'll need in suspension mods to make things work out so budget for that. It might even dip into your initial budget of reaching high horsepower.

RidinChevySolo97 07-13-2018 06:04 PM

Looks under the hood isn’t a concern for me, I’m all for functional over looks lol as far as heads and compression, what is the ideal compression for boost applications? I’ve always read the lower compression is better? Why is that? And how would determine his final
Compression?

The truck NNBS intake would be a cost savings route for sure, is the Holley high ram worth the extra money?

As far as fuel I’m okay with running either, E85 is readily available for me, I was looking at FIC 1100cc injectors.

What about intercooler, piping, etc? Am I gonna need a custom kit or could I order say a trick turbo kit and install a different turbo on it?

This truck will be my daily driver, and might see the track sometimes but not every single weekend, would you say 1000hp is over kill then? I knew the suspension would need work for sure but I wanted the truck running and driving before I do something like a 4 link out the back or anything like that.

FFDP 07-13-2018 06:39 PM

To some the high ram is worth it, to others it's just an extra cost.

Lower compression is better for lots of boost, something in the 9.X:1. Generally it's safer.

1100cc's won't be enough for E85 if you truly want 1000hp. Pump gas could make it there if the tune is spot on.

Trick or KB racing have great kits with everything you need. Upgrade the turbo if you want.

And truthfully anything over 500whp will just shred tires on the street in 2wd. It will be doing rolling burnouts on street tires. So picture 1000hp as completely useless power on the street. I really think you'll find that 500-800hp is going to be tons of fun and be a plenty fast truck.

RidinChevySolo97 07-13-2018 06:50 PM

I was also looking at electronic boost control so that I could back down the boost to make it more streetable and still be able to crank it back up at the truck, is that possible?
Honestly looking at all this stuff is a huge wake up, I knew 1000hp was doable but it takes a lot to get there lol as far tires I was gonna run a set of boggarts or welds with 315/60/15 in the rear and 205/75/15 in the front.

What would 1000hp at the crank convert to at the wheels? Maybe that seems a little more realistic for the street?

bigsapper 07-13-2018 07:15 PM

I'll just leave this here...
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hemi...eal-kicks-ass/

... on an LSX454, with E85.

Just sayin.

Atomic 07-13-2018 10:44 PM

You need to set a realistic budget, you are all over the place with this one. $10k? $20k? $30k?

Despite what the internet would have you believe, running mid 9s is anything but easy, especially if you want reliability.

RidinChevySolo97 07-14-2018 06:51 AM

Sorry about not really setting a budget, truthfully I just never thought in much of budget terms, I just always have had the mind set of saving until I had the money to buy it, buy that part, then repeat the for the next part, as I said I’m open to any and all suggestions, what seems more reasonable in your opinion? FFDP recommendation was to aim more for the 500-800 power range, would say a 700hp single cab be just as fun on the street? What would involved in making power like that reliably.

bigsapper 07-14-2018 06:56 AM

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...55573/10002/-1

Set it up for flex fuel, you'll be right at 700chp. ~$!5k.

RidinChevySolo97 07-14-2018 07:03 AM

That sounds tempting but I really wanted to stay in the small blocks