Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

engine noise=lifter or piston slap??

Old 05-02-2011, 01:25 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by getchusum99
sooooo.. do u guys think using some thicker oil will help? ive got 3 gallons of mobil delvac 15w40.
Doubtful but worth a shot...
Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Trying to mask a mechanical problem with heavier weight oil?? Do you work on a used car lot?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Trying to mask a mechanical problem with heavier weight oil?? Do you work on a used car lot?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Yea, even if it does help (which it never does with a true mechanical problem in my experience), it's just a band-aid at best
Old 05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

lol, im a crane mechanic. i didnt think it would work, but i wanted some other opinions. so i guess ima drive it till it blows.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

I've had two piston slap LS1's in my history of cars. One had 56k the other 111k. Both had piston slap. Its a deep sound that you'll only hear on a cold start. You can actually feel it in the pedal when you start down the road when its cold. Daily drove both motors. The piston slap will continue until its warm and then you never hear it until your next cold start. The aluminum block just takes a minute to get hot and expand.
You don't have an aluminum block so i'm not sure your going to get away so easy.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There can also be another source of bottom end noise, and while it can and does occur with pressed-pin pistons/rods, is even more common on higher mileage floating-pin engines, is wrist-pin knock.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 1Bear
There can also be another source of bottom end noise, and while it can and does occur with pressed-pin pistons/rods, is even more common on higher mileage floating-pin engines, is wrist-pin knock.
True that Jarrod
Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xTraViSx
I've had two piston slap LS1's in my history of cars. One had 56k the other 111k. Both had piston slap. Its a deep sound that you'll only hear on a cold start. You can actually feel it in the pedal when you start down the road when its cold. Daily drove both motors. The piston slap will continue until its warm and then you never hear it until your next cold start. The aluminum block just takes a minute to get hot and expand.
You don't have an aluminum block so i'm not sure your going to get away so easy.
I dont recall the slap issue being caused by the aluminum blocks. It was due to the expansion rate of the pistons themselves, because most of the vehicles that had slap were the iron block trucks (which is probably because way more trucks had those engines than cars did at the time).
Old 05-07-2011, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

So, how could you distinguish between piston slap, wrist pin and lifter noise.

My 6.2 is really noisey, like a diesel, on cold start but there is still audilbe noise at full
temp, but you have to listen for the noise once it is warm.

I have pulled the plug wires one at a time and there was no change in the sound.

this is my 5 th LS engine truck and the only one that has made this noise, the 2000 5.3 had a bit of cold start noise , but no where near what this one does, the others were all quiet.

The dealer has already told me it piston noise but I am not so sure.
They told me to do a combustion chamber cleaning, which I have done and no change in the sound.

Any way to fiqure out the source of the noise?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine noise=lifter or piston slap??