PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Dyno'ing AWD truck on 2wd dyno? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/dynoing-awd-truck-2wd-dyno-242458/)

unredeemed 11-24-2004 06:03 PM

There are more and more AWD dynos in the US opening up monthly. NJ is not alone in that regard.

Ask your local performance shops, especially import shops that work on Subaru's and Mitsubishi's.

GEAR M UP 11-24-2004 07:51 PM

I have about 12 pulls on my with pulling out the drive shaft........

I've had some issues but not from pulling out the drive shaft.....

My $.02.....If you pull the front drive shaft try to keep it to under a hand full of pulls....

BigTex 11-24-2004 09:33 PM

It really depends on the vehicle. The SS and Sierra Denali have the NVG 149 with the VISCOUS coupling. The Escalade and Denali SUVs have the Borg Warner BW 4481. Both are single speed AWD units. The fluid based coupling of the NVG149 allow it to apply 100% torque at either axle if needed. The BW case is a set 60/40 ratio at all times and gives the SUVs traction control ability. Knowing those details, I'd sa it would be safer to run the SS without the front driveshaft than an escalade.

I know of an escalade with a broken transfer case. I haven't seen an SS with a broken tcase yet.

KLUG'S SS 11-24-2004 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigTex
It really depends on the vehicle. The SS and Sierra Denali have the NVG 149 with the VISCOUS coupling. The Escalade and Denali SUVs have the Borg Warner BW 4481. Both are single speed AWD units. The fluid based coupling of the NVG149 allow it to apply 100% torque at either axle if needed. The BW case is a set 60/40 ratio at all times and gives the SUVs traction control ability. Knowing those details, I'd sa it would be safer to run the SS without the front driveshaft than an escalade.

I know of an escalade with a broken transfer case. I haven't seen an SS with a broken tcase yet.

I have been wondering about that for awhile now. I won't be worried about pulling my driveshaft now.

BigTex 11-25-2004 12:07 AM

Lots of SSs have done it without problems. Just don't launch it with only one shaft.

stealth03ss 11-25-2004 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by BigTex
Lots of SSs have done it without problems. Just don't launch it with only one shaft.

ok, me and my one friend decided one day to pull my front ds. we took it out into the driveway and just to give it a "baby" test i gunned it plenty to atleast spin the backs in the dirt. the back tires didnt spin. so i preceded out onto the road and tried it from rolling along at like ten miles per hour and it made a loud whining noise and not a single tire on the truck even tried to accelerate. we put the front ds back in (while sweating a possible warranty claim in my future) and the truck operates as always. no smells or leaks from anything but the viscous coupling definitely slips instead of sending 100% power to the rear. Did i do something wrong? it will still send the back out easily in the rain so it is back to normal and no harm done but this thread has me wondering.....

whippled HD 11-25-2004 03:16 AM

I also did the same on my 03 ss I backed it out of the garage down a very mild slope and it didnt even grip the little bit i needed to get back to the garage

stealth03ss 11-25-2004 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by whippled HD
I also did the same on my 03 ss I backed it out of the garage down a very mild slope and it didnt even grip the little bit i needed to get back to the garage

sweet, i mean crap. well atleast my truck is normal!

BigTex 11-25-2004 11:49 AM

Interesting. I personally haven't dynoed my truck, but there are lots of guys who have. How is that possible if no torque is applied to the rear with the front shaft off?

I wonder if there needs to be a bit of resistance on the front to create enough friction to apply full power to the rear wheels.

Kano 11-25-2004 06:30 PM

http://www.mastrowrx.com/index.asp?P...on=Custom&ID=5

would this work:confused:
dynapack