Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Do I or why should I delete the VVT/DOD on an L92 Engine swap into a 1984 Chevy C10?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swathdiver
Only the very earliest L92s had AFM/DOD but it was not active in the tune. If your valley cover is lumpy, you have AFM. VVT flattens the torque curve brings it in sooner and then extends it out into the rpm band. Some aftermarket camshafts are made to work with it but most are not.
swathdiver,
Thanks for the info. Any actual way to tell if the AFM/DOD is active or not? This is an L92 out of a 2007 Sierra Denali. I'll have to look at the valley to see if it has AFM.

Thanks
All Out LS
Old 02-20-2019, 06:05 AM
Teching In

Thanks madmann26, Glad it did remind me of needing some type of cold air intake.

All Out LS
Old 02-20-2019, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by All Out LS
swathdiver,
Thanks for the info. Any actual way to tell if the AFM/DOD is active or not? This is an L92 out of a 2007 Sierra Denali. I'll have to look at the valley to see if it has AFM.

Thanks
All Out LS
You're welcome. AFM was never active in the L92. Engines made before April 2006 had the hardware but the 6.2 didn't get AFM running until 2010 with the L94.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:57 AM
Teching In

OK gentlemen,
Bare in mind, I am doing a complete L92 Engine and 6L80 Transmission pull out of a 2007 Sierra Denali into a 1985 C10 square body. I did find out the 6L80 trans will fit in the square bodies with only a modification of the crossmember or an aftermarket crossmember. I'm going with the aftermarket crossmember because it will keep the pinion angle correct.
I have a list of questions that hopefully you can give me some feedback, advice or suggestions with. Like pcmcobra said I have to think ahead and it will save some headaches. Here it goes, thanks for the help on this project.

I numbered these so you could reference them specifically.

1) Do I need a 4 corner steam kit? I have read that when building an engine it is something people do, do.

2) I know I need the fuel tank from 87 Silverado do I need the sending unit as well ?

3) Fuel return lines? pcmcobra is running a single fuel rail, no return fuel rail and looks like he is running a line back to tank from vett fuel regulator, is this what I need to do?

4) If the above is correct when running the vette filter/regulator (return line) back to gas tank. What year vette regulator do I need?

5) Using stock shifter for the moment. What shifter linkage kit or set up should I use? Eventually I will be looking into a shift paddle.

6) A/C components? Looking into adding the new mount to move the compressor to the top. Correct me if I'm wrong but I will need parts of the a/c unit from the donor engine? I was thinking I could grab the condenser, lines, receiver/dryer, sensor/switch units and maybe the fans if available. Any help here would be greatly useful.

7) In the square body I believe I'll need a new tranny dipstick?

8) Also an oil dipstick?

9) Stock exhaust manifolds vs headers?

10) Exhaust pipe size?

11) With a new cam will I need lifters, springs and/or rockers? Anything else?
Will this require a new valley cover if it has AFM/DOD? I did see where there is a tool used to block off the oil ports to the AFM/DOD. Anyone familiar with this process?

12) pcmcobra said I need to replace the sending units/sensors to the older style so they can work with the 89-91 Suburban cluster with electronic speedometer if I understood correctly. Are these like 3 wire or 2 wire sensor/connectors. Would ones from a SBC 350 work? Also, which ones would you believe I should be switching out. Will the be ran independent of the L92 wiring harness. I'm concerned that the ECM may need some of these signals.

13) I priced a new wire harness and WOW they are expensive. I have not looked into a reworked harness yet. Not even sure how much changing I will require. I also am not afraid to attempt any rewiring myself. I have seen where people do do it. I also kinda like the challenge. Any advice? Maybe a list of what I can get rid of and what I'll have to add to for this setup.

Well that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions as this project moves along. Thanks for the help!
Also, what do you think about me making a build post on this....ideas?

Thanks all,
All Out LS
Old 02-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Teching In

pcmcobra,
I just realized you said to get harness rewired to a "4 wire hookup". So the sending units will be 4 wire?....Oil pressure sensor, temp sensor.... drawing a blank, lol. What others?
All Out LS
Old 02-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Anyone have a picture of what the 89-91 Suburban instrument cluster with electronic speedo looks like that I am supposed to be able to install in the 85 Chevy C10 Square body? A link to some used ones would be great. I am just seeing so many variations.

Is this one?

and this one?

Please help
All Out LS
Old 02-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pcmcobra,
I just realized you said to get harness rewired to a "4 wire hookup". So the sending units will be 4 wire?....Oil pressure sensor, temp sensor.... drawing a blank, lol. What others?
All Out LS
no, the harness is seperate from sending units. If you do the engine harness rewired to the 4 wire hookup, it's easy. You won't need the donor fuseblock.
Talk with a harness guy, they can do it.
The sending units will get wired up to your gauge cluster, so you can read temps, pressure...important.
You can use the sending unit on your fuel tank, it is located inside the gas tank, it "sends" the fuel out...a walbro pump will fit, get the right one.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have a picture of what the 89-91 Suburban instrument cluster with electronic speedo looks like that I am supposed to be able to install in the 85 Chevy C10 Square body? A link to some used ones would be great. I am just seeing so many variations.

Is this one?

and this one?

[img]https://dudazps6njn84.cloudfront.net/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/IxwAAOSwdC5cZ3P1/$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Please help
All Out LS
They look exactly the same, except on the backside, the speedo will have an electronic connector. instead of a cable.
send me a pm, I'll give you my email, we can converse through that. I don't mind.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pcmcobra
you WILL have to come up with some kind of intake system. I have seen guys mod the factory box from the donor vehicle to fit the square bodies. I ended up using some spectre kit and a k&n cone filter and it worked out great.
That pic you have is what is stated above ^
you don't need that unless you go turbo or supercharger, if you are, there are nicer, better fitting units out there.
I'll see if I can dig up some pics of mine...no promises, but I'll check.
Here's a link to an old build thread of my truck:
Finally!!! 6.0 POWAH!!!! - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
Man, what a nice build....Sadly you sold it. Did you ever get a new project? You miss it?

All Out LS
Old 02-20-2019, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pcmcobra
no, the harness is seperate from sending units. If you do the engine harness rewired to the 4 wire hookup, it's easy. You won't need the donor fuseblock.
Talk with a harness guy, they can do it.
The sending units will get wired up to your gauge cluster, so you can read temps, pressure...important.
You can use the sending unit on your fuel tank, it is located inside the gas tank, it "sends" the fuel out...a walbro pump will fit, get the right one.
pcmcobra,
Ok, got ya! I have located sending unit adapters for the coolant temp and oil pressure. I hadn't realized the Walbro pump was an internal.

ALL Out LS

Quick Reply: Do I or why should I delete the VVT/DOD on an L92 Engine swap into a 1984 Chevy C10?