Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Do I or why should I delete the VVT/DOD on an L92 Engine swap into a 1984 Chevy C10?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I or why should I delete the VVT/DOD on an L92 Engine swap into a 1984 Chevy C10?

Using a 2007 L92 Complete pullout including ECM, harness, accessories, Accelerator, fuse block, body fuse panel, possible gauge cluster, fuel pump assembly and ect... Most likely a 6L80e Tranny. What issues will I run into?
Old 02-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the harness reworked to a 4 wire hookup, you won't need the fuse block from donor OR bcm or gauge cluster. Go get a 89-91 burb cluster with electronic speedo and you are set. Just make sure you put in the correct sending units on new motor so the gauge's read correct.
As for vvt/dod/afm...if it were me, I would go ahead and get rid of it, get you a cam kit with springs and related parts and do the cam before you swap, much easier. Thank me later.
You might want to head to 67-72 trucks forum, to check what's needed for the 6l80...I do know the 4l80's fit with no problem, I did it on my 86. Minor work on the crossmember, or buy an aftermarket for ease of install. If you plan on running a/c, either notch the frame or spend the $ and go with the high side bracket kit.
Stock radiator will work...If I remember, just had to find some fittings, and went with e-fans.
Go get an 87 silverado tank(they have the baffles for in tank for fuel injection) you can get a drop in walbro fuel pump that fits perfect. Corvette fuel pressure regulator(pretty cheap).
You can use stock tank, but they don't have baffles, so if you run it low, it will starve the pump. The tanks are relatively cheap, maybe $200 or so.
Do what you can while it is out, think way ahead. Don't get in a hurry, there's a lot of tedious stuff, not hard, just things you don't think about until you get started and then hit a wall. All the info is out there, and so are the parts. It's an easy swap, and you will have fun, and the truck will be a screamer.
The following users liked this post:
All Out LS (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:41 AM
Teching In

pcmcobra, some great info. I really appreciate the response. I also hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit. I did figure it would take a lot of tedious stuff to make it work but all well worth it. Is there a recommendation for the harness rework to a 4 wire hookup or should I look at an aftermarket harness? I only have one real local speed shop and I have never used them. I'll stop in there today and see what they offer. I will thank you now for the vvt/dod/afm recommendation. Anything that helps now saves much time later, lol. I can go with the 4L80 if necessary. Most likely less expensive also. I will head over to the forum you suggested also. Maybe its not as of complicated/expensive swap to the 6L80. Do you recommend on over the other? I am sure I will be digging into the vvt/dod/afm delete soon, whats your experience there?
Do you recommend a Stall for this set up at all?
Will the ECM need reprogrammed/tuned?
Is it just easier to buy new sending units than finding used ones?
Will I be able to use the motor mounts from the L92 with the 86 motor mount brackets or just buy new ones. Am I correct the LS engines usually have to sit a little forward compared to the old SBC?
Any suggestion to whom I should have spec me a cam for this L92?
Any absolute engine upgrade other than cam I should do before dropping it in.

Thank you again for your help!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

For the VVT/DOD stuff -

1. It's easier to do with the engine out
2. To cut down on a possible issue later
3. You WILL need a tune

lssimple.net has a ton of stuff for a swap. ICT Billet makes motor mounts that should work and are adjustable.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by madmann26
For the VVT/DOD stuff -

1. It's easier to do with the engine out
2. To cut down on a possible issue later
3. You WILL need a tune

lssimple.net has a ton of stuff for a swap. ICT Billet makes motor mounts that should work and are adjustable.
Madmann26,
Thanks for the info. It will be well used. The tune will have to happen once all issues are solved. If I use the 4L80 is there any connector changes needed?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by All Out LS
pcmcobra, some great info. I really appreciate the response. I also hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit. I did figure it would take a lot of tedious stuff to make it work but all well worth it. Is there a recommendation for the harness rework to a 4 wire hookup or should I look at an aftermarket harness? I only have one real local speed shop and I have never used them. I'll stop in there today and see what they offer. I will thank you now for the vvt/dod/afm recommendation. Anything that helps now saves much time later, lol. I can go with the 4L80 if necessary. Most likely less expensive also. I will head over to the forum you suggested also. Maybe its not as of complicated/expensive swap to the 6L80. Do you recommend on over the other? I am sure I will be digging into the vvt/dod/afm delete soon, whats your experience there?
Do you recommend a Stall for this set up at all?
Will the ECM need reprogrammed/tuned?
Is it just easier to buy new sending units than finding used ones?
Will I be able to use the motor mounts from the L92 with the 86 motor mount brackets or just buy new ones. Am I correct the LS engines usually have to sit a little forward compared to the old SBC?
Any suggestion to whom I should have spec me a cam for this L92?
Any absolute engine upgrade other than cam I should do before dropping it in.

Thank you again for your help!
I had speartech do my harness, but that was over a dozen years ago, I don't think they rework harnesses anymore, just sell new custom ones. There are a kajillion harness companies now, everyone does them in their garage. I have no experience with any other than speartech.
STAY with the 6l80 if at all possible! If it will phyisically fit, you are in great shape. It's a better transmission.
Yes, you need a tune regardless of what you do to the motor. Wait until last thing to do.
You can buy ls swap motor mount brackets just about anywhere, hit up ebay or even amazon, don't need anything special, just ls swap brackets for gm
Cam = texas speed ORbrian tooley racing (his name pops up with just about every cam thread)
Stall = depends on your cam and tranny. Whoever you talk to about a cam, have a conversation about stall.
Sending units: Get new ones, BUT you need to get the correct ones for the truck, you might have to find adapters, especially for the oil pressure sensor, or maybe someone makes a direct fit adapter now. The correct sending unit will allow your gauges to read correctly. Don't use a 2011 silverado oil pressure sending unit if you want to use it in a 1984 silverado...it won't read right.
just like you would not use a 1984 sending unit on a 2011 truck? Sounds tricky, but it's not. You can buy them at any auto part store.
Engine upgrades are only as long as you wallet.
Long $ = many upgrades
not long $ = a couple upgrades.
Cam kit with springs, retainers,lifters, pushrods dod/vvt delete kit is a great upgrade, can get some good hp out of that, you "could" get the heads ported....
Talk with one of those mentioned above, they can get you everything you need for the cam setup.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Teching In

pcmcobra,
Thanks again for this great information. I'm going to get a final list together before I purchase this L92 set up and post it to have it reviewed. I will slowly get the additional parts required as I take care of everything on the engine I can. I hope you don't mind me checking back with you for questions and advice. A couple of questions that I have thought about... do I want a trans cooler? How about a cold air intake. I saw something that made me think about this, not that this one (see image) would work, but I like the idea if this is what the image shows. This was from a Chrysler vehicle. I'm not very sure if that is some type of cold air intake radiator. Maybe you can tell.

Thanks,
All Out LS

Is this some type of air cooling radiator for cold air intake?
Old 02-18-2019, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by All Out LS
pcmcobra,
Thanks again for this great information. I'm going to get a final list together before I purchase this L92 set up and post it to have it reviewed. I will slowly get the additional parts required as I take care of everything on the engine I can. I hope you don't mind me checking back with you for questions and advice. A couple of questions that I have thought about... do I want a trans cooler? How about a cold air intake. I saw something that made me think about this, not that this one (see image) would work, but I like the idea if this is what the image shows. This was from a Chrysler vehicle. I'm not very sure if that is some type of cold air intake radiator. Maybe you can tell.

Thanks,
All Out LS

Is this some type of air cooling radiator for cold air intake?
unless I’m crazy that’s an Intercooler from a diesel truck for a turbo.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Launching!

you WILL have to come up with some kind of intake system. I have seen guys mod the factory box from the donor vehicle to fit the square bodies. I ended up using some spectre kit and a k&n cone filter and it worked out great.
That pic you have is what is stated above ^
you don't need that unless you go turbo or supercharger, if you are, there are nicer, better fitting units out there.
I'll see if I can dig up some pics of mine...no promises, but I'll check.
Here's a link to an old build thread of my truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267706

Last edited by pcmcobra; 02-18-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Only the very earliest L92s had AFM/DOD but it was not active in the tune. If your valley cover is lumpy, you have AFM. VVT flattens the torque curve brings it in sooner and then extends it out into the rpm band. Some aftermarket camshafts are made to work with it but most are not.

Quick Reply: Do I or why should I delete the VVT/DOD on an L92 Engine swap into a 1984 Chevy C10?