Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

nitrous guys. need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous guys. need help

i would post in nitrous section but, i would rather hear it from you all. the truck owners. i am trying to build a dry kit. so far this is what i know i need

bottle and brackets
nitrous solenoid
15' or longer nitrous line
wot switch
arming switch inside cab
nitrous pressure guage
ok, do i need a shorter 4an line? if so what length? two feet, 3 or 4. if i am missing anything please tell me. i am a nitrous noob and have been reading but sometimes you can do more harm by reading than asking...
Old 02-13-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goshawk23
i would post in nitrous section but, i would rather hear it from you all. the truck owners. i am trying to build a dry kit. so far this is what i know i need

bottle and brackets
nitrous solenoid
15' or longer nitrous line
wot switch
arming switch inside cab
nitrous pressure guage
ok, do i need a shorter 4an line? if so what length? two feet, 3 or 4. if i am missing anything please tell me. i am a nitrous noob and have been reading but sometimes you can do more harm by reading than asking...
You basically need the whole kit. Why not buy a kit? Why dry vs wet?
Old 02-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Know I Would Not Put It On My Truck.it Is To Hard On The Motor You Might Want To Get A Fuel Pressure Guage Also So You Can Keep An Eye On It Also.i Am Going Twin Tubro On My Firebird It Is Safer It Is Not So Hard On Motor.it Is Thebest Fi There Is It Does Not Cost Anyting To Turn The Tubros
Old 02-13-2005, 08:01 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the wet kit better too at least comparted to spraying thru the maf. you can get a complete wet kit used for $3xx usualy.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:06 PM
Truck addict

well, what i am thinking is i want to spray a small shot. like 50 or 75. nothing major. i am not looking to break any land speed records. the reason i am choosing dry over wet is i don't think i have the tuning for wet. not yet anyway. it isn't hard to convert from dry to wet is it? just a few parts from what i have read. fuel noid, more lines and such. don't get me wrong, i am sure there is more than that. i have the option to get the parts for a wet kit. but i will need better tuning. and with that comes the question, how is the stock fuel pump with a small wet shot?
Old 02-13-2005, 08:21 PM
single digit dreamer

you kind of have it backwards. wet kits really need no tuning at all. just put in the recomended pills and go. stock pump will hold a 125shot easy.

with a dry kit you have to watch your tune and make sure the stock pcm is adding fuel like it should. you still have to watch the fuel pump at some point but you also have to watch the injectors too.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Truck addict

ok. well, this is good to know. i need edumucacion. i always thought, as long as you weren't maxing out the injectors with nitrous the maf would handle everything.

like i said, i can get a wet kit. but what else is needed, fuel noid.

on a wet kit, what happens with the timing. do you back it down any?
Old 02-13-2005, 08:36 PM
single digit dreamer

i have tried a dry kit and the maf didn't do a great job adding fuel. i was watching with the wideband and the wet kit is way more steady.

do some searches and read up on nitrous. then come back in and ask more questions. i could write a couple of pages on the subjet easy. 75shot is prety small, dont really need to do anything to run it other than bolt on the kit. a WOT switch and window switch are highly recomended. a heater and purge will give you more consistancy and a harder hit.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Truck addict

so far i have a purchased a wot switch. other stuff is up for auction from a member on ls2.com. i have been trying to read up on it and well, it can get a little intimidating trying to decipher everyone's opinion from fact. i will research it some more and come back. thanks for the advice.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:59 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do a wet kit for the same reasons parish is saying. Your list is about right except for the wet kit you'd need a fuel solenoid of course and then short lines (~3 or 4 feet depending on where you mount the solenoids)one that goes from the schrader valve to the fuel noid, and one from the fuel noid to the nozzle and then one from the nitrous noid to the nozzle. Make sure you get a bottle warmer too, that made a huge difference because when the bottle pressure is low, spraying won't do crap.
When I went out to do my first runs, I started out with a 50 shot...didn't feel a thing, I thought it wasn't even on. Then 75 shot...felt something, but wasn't anything amazing. 100 shot...HOLY CHIT BATMAN! 150 shot at about 50MPH....WOO HOO!
Oh yea, I have a Nelson tune running about 29* of timing on 91 octane with the 100 shot, no problems. I heard some audible detonation running the 150 shot a couple times so I'm just running a 100 shot.
I read and read and asked questions before I bought my nitrous kit. Edumacate yourself well before buying anything. I took 4 months of browsing on eBay until I found the kit I wanted. If you have any other questions just ask

Quick Reply: nitrous guys. need help