PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   cold start surge? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/cold-start-surge-509689/)

kush killer 10-27-2012 03:19 PM

cold start surge?

when the outside temps start gettin colder.. probbaly 40* or lower... when i start my truck up for the first time on the morning, itll surge (idle goes up and down) for probaly 30seconds maybe 45.. then shell idle jsut fine.. any ideas what this could be?

ChimpyNuts 10-27-2012 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by kush killer (Post 5014838)
when the outside temps start gettin colder.. probbaly 40* or lower... when i start my truck up for the first time on the morning, itll surge (idle goes up and down) for probaly 30seconds maybe 45.. then shell idle jsut fine.. any ideas what this could be?

Wait so is it cranking properly or no?

kush killer 10-27-2012 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ChimpyNuts (Post 5014896)
Wait so is it cranking properly or no?

oh yeah she starts up just fine, except once shes running, the idle surges up and down, like from 700rpm to like 1000rpm and back down to like 700rpm.. does that for like i said usually 30-45seconds and then she idles jsut fine, and everytime i start it up there after for rest of day it doesnt surge.. only when being started for the first time each day..

OneBadRR 10-27-2012 09:55 PM

No check engine light? I would think intake manifold gasket, but you'd see a lean code.

kush killer 10-28-2012 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by OneBadRR (Post 5015016)
No check engine light? I would think intake manifold gasket, but you'd see a lean code.

nope no lights on... its really weird.. i for the life of me cant figure it out..

lady3bglover 10-28-2012 11:04 AM

When was the last time you cleaned your MAF and TB?

kush killer 10-28-2012 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by lady3bglover (Post 5015168)
When was the last time you cleaned your MAF and TB?

the MAF was not to long ago.. maybe 4months.. ill try the TB tomorrow and see if that helps any..

1FastBrick 10-29-2012 01:48 AM

What year is the truck??? If it's a 99-02 you will find the IAC valve is partially plugged up with a carbon suit build up.

The IAC valve is what controls air flow for idle stability with the blade in the closed position. The factory parameters that control this are based on the passage being clear. When the passage becomes restricted the factory values can not compensate enough and the idle searches high and low trying to find a stable ground.

Pull the TB and clean the passages on the back side. Be carefully with the TB Position Sensor and the IAC Valve as they are basically electronic switches and can be damaged if you overextend them.

kush killer 10-29-2012 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick (Post 5015686)
What year is the truck??? If it's a 99-02 you will find the IAC valve is partially plugged up with a carbon suit build up.

The IAC valve is what controls air flow for idle stability with the blade in the closed position. The factory parameters that control this are based on the passage being clear. When the passage becomes restricted the factory values can not compensate enough and the idle searches high and low trying to find a stable ground.

Pull the TB and clean the passages on the back side. Be carefully with the TB Position Sensor and the IAC Valve as they are basically electronic switches and can be damaged if you overextend them.

awsome, ill give that a try today! thanx for the input

2007chevy5.3l 10-29-2012 07:40 AM

I'm gonna say its a parameter in the tune effected by IAT's that needs some adjustment.