Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

check engine light for left and right bank running lean.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my engine just rolled 90k miles. I am just a college kid, i dont know how, or have to tools to check my fuel pressure anywhere. I sprayed wd40 all around my intake manifold and i couldnt make it stumble, checking for leaks, i just dont know whats wrong. I dont hav the money to take my truck to a service shop but that may be my only choice.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Sorry man wish you were closer. Hard to diagnose with out Physically working on it.

Do you have any mechanically inclined freinds or family??? If you want to try it yourself we can try and talk you threw it.... Otherwise you will have to try and find a specialest in your area.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever check your Grounds on the engine. just to make sure everything is getting good connections.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Dont get me wrong im very mechanically inclined..but that is just that. That wont go very far in diagnosing a problem, only fixing one. I checked for leaks all around my intake manifold again this evening, with no luck. I just dont know where to look for vacuum leaks. I may just have to take it in, and let my wallet get fucked in the ***. I mean the only ground i know about is right there on the firewall, and ya its tight.

The only other things i can think it might be:

leak somewhere in a vacuum line or something
failing front 02 sensor with no code
fuel pump going bad
a leak i have yet to find around my intake manifold

Just for a laugh...i was talking to the diagnostic people at onstar and it was a girl who was obviously reading it off the screen she told me "she suspected the problem was the gas cap was not screwed down properly" haha if she didnt sound so hot i would have just hung up.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

LOL... Well Intake gaskets are only like $38 for felpro through local autoparts store. with a little over an hour's time maybe 2-3 if you don't know how to do it, those can easily be changed out... BTW WD40 wont kill the engine if you have a small intake leak... use Break cleaner it will raise the idle slightly if there is a leak. BTW if its leaking at the bottom of the intake gaskets you won't be able to get to it... as far as the fuel pressure I think you can either rent a gauge at the local auto parts store or by a cheap one on line or at a place like harbor freight...

BTW o2 sensors that fail or are failing set a code
Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Launching!

if it wasnt leaking at the bottom of the intake manifold where else would it leak? I used wd40 because ,thats what someone told me, i will try brake cleaner tommorow, how will a fuel pressure gauge help me? Where does it hook up at? what should my pressure be?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

It could be leaking any were truethfully... I think wd40 would just make it smoke a little but would be hard to see.

As for the fuel pressure, I believe it has is supposed to be around 51-52 PSI at Idle if you pull the vacum line off the fuel pressure regulator at idle it will go up about 10 PSI unless the regulator is defective. When you rap the throttle it should never drop below I belive about 46 PSI. Been so long I forgot...

As far as the intake gaskets leaking Goes, they are usually what causes the lean condition so spray some break clean around the intake and see if it affects the idle at all. Make sure you spray it heavy and go around it slowly so that the liquid will pool up enough to effect the idle if there is a leak.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Launching!

alright guys...well my truck stuttered and tried to die on me twice this morning, within 45 seconds of cranking, after it settled in place, today my truck was doggy real bad...Now i know how all you 4.8 guys feel hahaha but in all seriousness guys i need your help one more day, otherwise i will start pawning my stuff off and take it to the shop. thanks again, and help is appreciated.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Launching!

took it to the shop..bad intake manifold gasket. 272 bucks. not too bad.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Damn, that's a lot. Glad to see you got it fixed though.

Quick Reply: check engine light for left and right bank running lean.