PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Catalytic converter warranty? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/catalytic-converter-warranty-482111/)

therock 05-04-2011 11:20 PM

Catalytic converter warranty?

I have a 2005 W 60k miles with a rattling cat. With it seeming to be one witll they replace the whole Y-Pipe or try and do only the one?

And being I have a Radix with a WB o2 sensor bung, What do you think?

80K or 8 years? Correct?

Forcefed81 05-04-2011 11:41 PM

You are correct the warranty is 8/80K on cats. They will replace the whole y-pipe. Being that you have a blower and a WB O2 though you might have a hard time getting them to warranty it. It depends on how big a dick they want to be. Most dealers would tell you to take a hike.

AKlowriderZ71 05-05-2011 02:05 AM

It's 8/80K if it's not modified. If you have a dealer in your area that's cool about performance mods, you might get lucky. Or maybe you have a buddy who is the service manager at the dealer?

Good luck to you.

m3srt 05-05-2011 03:54 AM

why do u still have cats thats the question ..

2007chevy5.3l 05-05-2011 05:05 AM

Lol yeah man i warrantied my cats right off and into the trash^^

therock 05-05-2011 03:09 PM

I called a dealer and told him of my rattling cat on my 05 at 60k miles . He says bring it in it's covered. I said when would be best. He said we are really slow right now c'mon in.
I said let me explain and told him of the Radix. He says no problem at all. Heh! I then told him about the wide band bung and he said we will take care of it for $30.00.
I dropped it off making sure it was warranty covered or no work other than the bung. Its being done as I type.

Forcefed81 05-05-2011 03:42 PM

Wow! I'm surprised. I'm glad you were able to get it taken care of under warranty. That sure does save some money.

therock 05-05-2011 05:05 PM

I just got back and they did not add the bung. I did not ask why as I was just glad to see the $0.00 numbers in the papers and the GM original equipment replacement y-pipe.
They bagged and tied my o2 out of harms way. I'll be in the muffler shop in the AM.

fastnblu 05-05-2011 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by therock (Post 4694724)
I have a 2005 W 60k miles with a rattling cat. With it seeming to be one witll they replace the whole Y-Pipe or try and do only the one?

And being I have a Radix with a WB o2 sensor bung, What do you think?
80K or 8 years?

I went thru the rattling cat stuff already. :bang:

Originally Posted by Forcefed81 (Post 4694749)
You are correct the warranty is 8/80K on cats. They will replace the whole y-pipe. Being that you have a blower and a WB O2 though you might have a hard time getting them to warranty it. It depends on how big a dick they want to be. Most dealers would tell you to take a hike.

I was gonna say if they wanna be a dick, but already read down to where they hooked ya up.

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71 (Post 4694803)
It's 8/80K if it's not modified. If you have a dealer in your area that's cool about performance mods, you might get lucky. ...

Didn't know that, here I thought 100k / ltd. lifetime. Is this for OEM cats, Roger? Cause Dynatech more or less said, tough shit. :( :cry:

Originally Posted by therock (Post 4695082)
I called a dealer and told him of my rattling cat on my 05 at 60k miles . He says bring it in it's covered. I said when would be best. He said we are really slow right now c'mon in.
I said let me explain and told him of the Radix. He says no problem at all. ...

Lucky you. :)

AKlowriderZ71 05-06-2011 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by fastnblu (Post 4695283)
Didn't know that, here I thought 100k / ltd. lifetime. Is this for OEM cats, Roger? Cause Dynatech more or less said, tough shit. :( :cry:

No, I was talking about the factory cats. From GM, the cats and PCM have 8 yr/80K warranty with $0 ded.

Dynatech warranty = your favorite credit card. :cry:

03 BLACKOUTSSS 05-09-2011 06:50 AM

Congrats on having a cool dealer. One of just a few, most are assholes. A bung is a small price for saving $1000 for a cat.

therock 05-09-2011 09:38 AM

Thanks, The next saga is the last time I added a bung there was really only one place to get it far enough from the manifold and still be angled downward a bit was on the passenger side. That shop wanted me to leave it and charged me $75.00 to add the bung. He dropped the cross member and y-pipe. I could tell he did.

So this time the muffler shop was gone so I went to another. I showed the guy where I wanted it and he whips out a small angle drill with one of those cone shaped stepped drill bits and runs her in there. He grabs a shop vac that had a small hose taped to the end and sucks out the chips. Does a beautiful weld with an old o2 in the bung and then puts mine in after a short cool. All this as fast as I can type this. For $20.00 !!!! I tipped him a $5.00 for using the shop vac. Even if I could blow it out through the Cat & Corsa.
I need to buy some Lotto tickets!

AKlowriderZ71 05-09-2011 11:54 AM

When you say "angled downward", you mean like this, right? I hope so.
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...ndlocation.png

therock 05-09-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71 (Post 4697174)
When you say "angled downward", you mean like this, right? I hope so.

Exactly. Thanks.

AKlowriderZ71 05-09-2011 12:27 PM

Cool. I've posted that pic a couple times. Mostly just for the newbies to see how it's supposed to be done. I've seen them installed in the bottom half of the pipe, unfortunately.