Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd a/c problem... need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd a/c problem... need help!

I go to start my truck up this morning and the battery is completely dead. After getting a jump start, I go drive around for about 30 minutes to recharge the battery. I can hear the e-fans blowing the entire time. I make sure the a/c is off as well as other accessory, but I can still hear it blowing. My temps look fine too, stuck at 180. I go to check under the hood and all my VSC wiring looks okay. Then I notice that my a/c condenser in completely covered in frost, probably about 1/2" thick. I recheck that the a/c is off in the car and it is?

Where should I start looking first for problems?????
Old 03-04-2004, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

have you serviced/had the a/c serviced at all?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:01 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could the VSC be feeding the A/C compressor a signal that forces it to stay on? Basicall instead of receiving voltage, its putting out voltage, turning the compressor on.

I don't know about your issue, but my truck is sitting outside right now with the battery completely drained - no lights, no sounds, nothing. I suspect that its the VSC causing my issue as well. 2nd time its happened in 2 months. My truck is 9mos old, so the batt is basically new.

I bought my flex 282 fans in August from Summit.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

For now, I'm just gonna unplug the relay wire that connects to the A/C. I'll try to figure out the problem this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Default Possibility

Crank the engine with ac controls off now look at the compressor if its engaged youve got a direct feed to the clutch coil which is keeping it engaged at all times even with the truck off. This is whats draining the battery and whats freezing it up because it never cycles as it should. Suspect a relay thats stuck. Good Luck hope the compressor lives.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:46 AM
TECH Resident

I just had this problem on my truck, I accidentally tapped in to the wire for the A/C and it was making it stay on.

Where are you tapping into your A/C with your VSC? Have you messed with any wiring lately? If you havent then the relay may be stuck
Old 03-06-2004, 06:24 AM
TECH Regular

I tapped into the green wire under the fuse panel. I checked all the wiring today, including the wiring off hte compressor and it looked okay. I pulled the a/c fuse and the relay and they looked okay. I figured I was gonna get an Optima sooner or later, so I went out and bought one $141 and installed it since I needed a working battery to diagnose the problem. If anyone in the socal area wants to know where I got it for that price, email me. Once the battery was in, no more problem?!?!?!?!??? I don't know if it had to do with the battery or me jiggling the wires, but the problem is gone now.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

do you know what they green wire under the fuse panel does???

The green wire that I tapped into was for the A/C compressor, and that circuit uses ground side switching, so every time i turned the truck on, it was grounding out the relay and turning my A/C on. You may want to still think about tapping into a different wire somewhere
Old 03-08-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Black Yukon, what did you figure out with your motor a while ago?
You were saying you thoguht you smoked a cylinder?
BTW red optima's are $99 at Costco, the blue ones are 139 I think.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

LM7, check your PM's

Quick Reply: wierd a/c problem... need help!