PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   cams in (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/cams-232690/)

Kano 10-28-2004 11:38 PM

cams in

got my cam in yesterday
havent really beat on it yet
but it feels about the same as stock
up to about 2500 then it starts pulling
pretty good at about 1/2 throttle
its only died once and that was after the first startup
I was thinking the valvetrane would be raising hell
but its not, it sounds like a quiet sewing machine
I mean you have to lean forward in the truck and
decelerate before you can actually hear it while
driving
my tune should be here soon hopefully before the
last test and tune so I can see how it performs

"cam is a Vinci 062 210/218 .551 .551 112lsa +5*"

big thanx to Roger and Joe over at vinci that took
time to explain everything to me
they were great to deal with :judge:

slowprocess 10-28-2004 11:44 PM

Congrats on the install! Looks like a few more of us can play with the cool cam kids. You're going to love the compliments you get from people that hear it idle. I get questions from people every time I stop at a damn gas station or anywhere for that matter. :drive:

Kano 10-29-2004 12:05 AM

I think im gonna nock out my cats so its louder

Kano 10-29-2004 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by slowprocess
Congrats on the install! Looks like a few more of us can play with the cool cam kids. You're going to love the compliments you get from people that hear it idle. I get questions from people every time I stop at a damn gas station or anywhere for that matter. :drive:

cool cam kids :jest: :jest:

marc_w 10-29-2004 09:22 AM

SWEET - another truck guy with an A**-Kicker... I have to admit that I'm envious of your lift. ;)

I think you'll LOVE this thing. Hurry up and start beating on it! I don't want to sound like any more of a fool with the way I rant and rave about this stick.

It should really wake up within the next few days. Even at light throttle, you should feel the thing wake up and produce a lot of low throttle / low RPM torque. I swear at light throttle it feels like a small turbo spools up.

How does it idle in the 5.3? Sounds like it's a little rough if it stalled. I'll never get a compliment on mine - it's very hard to hear at times. It's never tried to stall, either.

Yeah, the lack of valvetrain noise is something that VHP claims. There is no need for all the racket of a XE-R type lobe.

Sport Side 10-29-2004 01:49 PM

Wow, that cam has an 8* exhaust bias and 5* advanced in.

@ .05

IO = -2 AT
IC = 32 AB
EO = 46 BB
EC = -8 BT

just thinkin...

Marc, your camshaft has how many degrees set advance?

marc_w 10-29-2004 02:19 PM

It's dot to dot... and if I recall right, also had 5* advance ground in. So, same as this one...

Sport Side 10-29-2004 03:30 PM

I think the #062 has more duration @ .200 lift

Sport Side 10-29-2004 03:44 PM

Heres an interesting read:

Having the exhaust valve open too early not only costs heat (power) &; velocity through the exhaust runners, it also empties the cylinder before the intake valve is open enough to take advantage of the pressure differential. (in a limited overlap/smogable camshaft this is especially true) This causes exhaust reversion &; is one of the key factors in surging problems.

So it makes sense to open the exhaust valve a little later & increase the overlap a bit. By adding advance into the camshaft this makes the problem even worse as now you're opening the exhaust a few more degrees earlier

A 212/210 with a 109 lsa 110 icl/108 ecl

IO = -4 after top
IC = 36 after bottom
EO = 33 before bottom
EC = -3 before top

compare the IC,EO to Vinci's.

marc_w 10-29-2004 03:52 PM

Not sure about that .200 spec.

I have literally 'no' understanding of valve events... :(