Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cam for a 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
thats is good to know- they do that

bluecajun5.3 long ago proved how well this cam works with these 5.3 trucks... he ran a ls6 intake I believe and put his single cab truck into 12.7 if I recall

other mods are long tubes - ORY- and efans - truck was a blast I might go back to this setup down the road again (I added blower- different stall)
Some of his threads are why I decided to go with a smaller cam. That...along with the fact that I was just going to put a cam in and leave it alone...lol. Once I started getting more serious about it I was worried I was going to run out of cam....but honestly glad I left the small cam. My combo is really working well for me. People are very surprised to see a 12 second rcsb truck with very little mods and a smallish cam.

My short term goal is to run 12.50s NA with the cam that I have. I'm hoping a switch to steeper gears/locker and a little more weight removal will get me there.

So to the OP. If it were my truck.... I'd stick with a cam around the size of what was posted. Something around the 220 range just flat-out works in these things.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004silvy
Some of his threads are why I decided to go with a smaller cam. That...along with the fact that I was just going to put a cam in and leave it alone...lol. Once I started getting more serious about it I was worried I was going to run out of cam....but honestly glad I left the small cam. My combo is really working well for me. People are very surprised to see a 12 second rcsb truck with very little mods and a smallish cam.

My short term goal is to run 12.50s NA with the cam that I have. I'm hoping a switch to steeper gears/locker and a little more weight removal will get me there.

So to the OP. If it were my truck.... I'd stick with a cam around the size of what was posted. Something around the 220 range just flat-out works in these things.
I was looking at the 224 but from what you guys are saying the 220 would be perfect for what I'm looking for. What lobe separation would you guys recommend?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by haulin-c10
I was looking at the 224 but from what you guys are saying the 220 would be perfect for what I'm looking for. What lobe separation would you guys recommend?
I'm running 220/220. 600/.600 on a 112 Lsa. My tuner suggestions an LSA of 111 or above which is why I went with it. Has a choppy good sounding idle but still makes good power down low.

And not to confuse you more. I have the 228r same lift and LSA in my wife's 5.3 gto and it runs great as well...lol. My truck 60s better (could be driver ) her car traps more mph. (could be aero) .

If you decide you are still going to tow. I'd stick with the smaller side for sure. Also are you running a stall? I was told a couple years ago. Anything above a 220 cam needs a stall. Even with the 220r it will WANT a stall...and benefit greatly if you put one in.

So It pretty much depends on what you are going to do with your truck. I'd get a few more opinions but those are mine and I'm happy with both vehicles and both cams.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2004silvy
I'm running 220/220. 600/.600 on a 112 Lsa. My tuner suggestions an LSA of 111 or above which is why I went with it. Has a choppy good sounding idle but still makes good power down low.

And not to confuse you more. I have the 228r same lift and LSA in my wife's 5.3 gto and it runs great as well...lol. My truck 60s better (could be driver ) her car traps more mph. (could be aero) .

If you decide you are still going to tow. I'd stick with the smaller side for sure. Also are you running a stall? I was told a couple years ago. Anything above a 220 cam needs a stall. Even with the 220r it will WANT a stall...and benefit greatly if you put one in.

So It pretty much depends on what you are going to do with your truck. I'd get a few more opinions but those are mine and I'm happy with both vehicles and both cams.
Im running a 2400 stall. I do plan on towing with the truck. And some light drag racing with it once in a while.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I am looking to upgrade my cam in my 5.3. Right now it has the thumpr cam and i dont like how it runs. the truck is a 99 chevy extended cab. I can do the tuning with hptuners. i want drivabilty, i dont care about having the radical idle. I got tired of it with this cam.

more info
243 heads with beehive valve springs
flat top pistons
stock truck intake
shorty headers soon to long tubes
double roller timing chain with dampner
ls7 lifters
2400 stall
4l65e with vette servo
3:73 gears with g80

cams ive been looking at
216/220 low lift
216/220 high lift
212/218 high lift
tr220
tr224

I f i can get any inputs on these and some other cams i would appreciate it.
You dont need the double row timing chain and dampener wont fit a 99 block.

If you're looking for great power and a head turner our high lift hot cam has all that. Easy to drive doesnt need a stall either but works good with your 2400 or an I6 trailblazer stall also. Easy to tune. its a 218/227 .600/.600 112+3. Makes good torque as well.
Paired with pac1218 springs for pt.net memebers its $500 shipped. It should make more power than either of those cams honestly or right at with the 224r and sound better.

If you are going to tow any amount id stay lower in the range like the stg2 hi lift truck cam from tsp. That 5.3 needs more cid to use the bigger cams for towing and hauling imo.

Video below in a 99 firehawk it would chop harder in a 5.3l.

Last edited by RPMSpeed Tech; 09-24-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPMSpeed Tech
You dont need the double row timing chain and dampener wont fit a 99 block.

If you're looking for great power and a head turner our high lift hot cam has all that. Easy to drive doesnt need a stall either but works good with your 2400 or an I6 trailblazer stall also. Easy to tune. its a 218/227 .600/.600 112+3. Makes good torque as well.
Paired with pac1218 springs for pt.net memebers its $500 shipped. It should make more power than either of those cams honestly or right at with the 224r and sound better.

If you are going to tow any amount id stay lower in the range like the stg2 hi lift truck cam from tsp. That 5.3 needs more cid to use the bigger cams for towing and hauling imo.

Video below in a 99 firehawk it would chop harder in a 5.3l.
HIGH LIFT HOT CAM IDLE
The block is a 2005. It already has the dampner and chain in it. I do plan on towing with it. I pull a 21 foot flatbed trailer once in a while.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:25 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If I recall the tr220-112 has about 7 ft/lb of torque earlier in the curve same power as a tr220-114lsa up top too- it's been years bud hard to remember

the 112lsa was told will help use the exhaust gasses to pull in fresh air into combustion chamber at lower rpms ( scavenging affect)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Truck Sponsor

With less than 0 overlap it wont scavenge. A 114 vs a 112 will idle a bit diff have a longer power band but give up peak torque and horsepower. Thats really it.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPMSpeed Tech
With less than 0 overlap it wont scavenge. A 114 vs a 112 will idle a bit diff have a longer power band but give up peak torque and horsepower. Thats really it.
I would like to get the smoothest idle that I can get and still retain the torque. It will hard to do being a 5.3.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Truck Sponsor

Add in more lift itll bring up the torque.
Here are 2 examples of gains.
Tsp stg2 truck low lift
https://youtu.be/eIuXFC7BrAg
Tsp stg2 truck hi lift
https://youtu.be/fNdvPVUzGdA

It gains quite a bit avg from the graph and peak is up also just from lift. HP up as well also.

Thats a gen4 5.3 with flat tops 243 heads and nnbs truck intake so dont look at numbers look at the gains between them. Not bad for the same price cam.

Cut it on a 112 and youll have a barely noticeably idle at 650 with 19-20*of spark at idle. Itll pull alot better esp for passing. The 112 will bring the power on earlier and bring torque up quicker.