Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

biggest cam possible on ls6 springs 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default biggest cam possible on ls6 springs 5.3

So I started back in feb a build but due to getting unlucky on another motor its taken me all this time to get another one in my garage tonight. Now that its here I am wanting to punch this thing through for xmas.

I made another thread awhile back and guys had some great suggestions And I have talked to other guys through pm with great setups. So my main ? now because I have a set of yellow ls6 springs already is there a good cam with low enough lift I can run with them and will this cam work on stock stall because I pull alot and need the dd to be as smooth as possible with a nice chop at idle ?

stock 5.3
cai
shortys (will be changed to lt a little later)
yellow ls6 springs in garage I am sure I need to order push rods but what size for a stock 5.3 no head work ?
local tune after motor is installed
Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a local guy running a tr220 on ls6 springs IIRC. Would I do it? No.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ls6 spring I would run a Vinci trucker 216/224 or 214/222
Comp 212/218 low lift or 216/220

Many choices available but those are the popular ones
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

There is a lot more that goes into your spring selection than max rpm and max lift. You need to think about the cam lobe ramp rates etc... Will the spring have enough pressure to keep the lifters seated against the cam to avoid valve float.

That being said I know there are a few guys who have had good luck with that spring and the trucker cam. I'd still run something different... It's a cheap insurance policy. If you drop a valve you'll be much more bummed than having to buy a different spring.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Staging Lane

So u think I should just buy another spring set and not use what I have? I got a killer deal on them is why I bought them but if they want work with a decent cam what's the next budget friendly spring set and what's the biggest cam specs for stock stall?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 AM

If you truly plan to stay with a stock stall then those LS6 springs can be used with a small cam... but mark my words that rarely happens. People always want more and always go bigger.

If you will stay stock with everything I would Probably get the comp low lift 212/218 on a 114 or so and use those springs.

Knowing that rarely happens, I'd be lookin at say a trick flow TFS-30602001 (only a little bigger at 216/220, link to it below), a 3000 converter, and the PAC 1218 springs. This cam can also be used with the stock converter without too much trouble, but the drivability would be better with a little more converter. It may even be OK with the LS6 springs since its within the lift perameters, but I don't know how aggressive the lobes are. My guess is it would be OK, but again, cheap insurance to get something a little better/stronger. I don't care what anyone says, a cam worth swapping in will sacrifice a little bit of the manners that come with that stock cam. That means the idle being turned up a little which makes you fight against the engine coming to a stop. That means you feel every little tiny bit of 'lope' in the idle when in gear and off the brake. Now a cam like the 216/220 wont be bad at all, but believe me when i say you will notice a difference. Anyone who tells you otherwise may not be as sensitive to it as I was and am... but there is a difference. That being said, all those little quirks get smoothed out with a slightly looser converter. It really makes the truck more enjoyable to drive. Hell with such a small cam even the TB converter would feel a lot better. Don't expect to gain a ton at the track with it, but daily manners are a lot better with it. Having gone down that road I would spend the $400 for a Circle D 278mm 3000 converter.

This coming from a guy who doesnt like loose converters... hence why I now have a maggie and a 2800 converter.

heres the trick flow cam:
Trick Flow® Track Max® Camshafts for GM LSX: TFS-30602001 - trickflow.com

Here is an idle clip of a similar cam in a 5.3:
216 220 Comp Cam on 5.3 GMC - YouTube

Noticable, healthy, not obnoxious.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were in your position I would order the trick flow cam suggested and stuff from Brian tooley. The pushrods are $90, and dual springs are only $129. Now with ls6 springs they go for about $50 used. We are talking about $80 extra to potentially save a ton. The trick flow cam is also only $286 on summit which is nice.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Oh yea I was looking at some bt stuff and his prices are good. I might need to just pick up the springs and rods from him then save for a decent stall. If I did go with the bt stuff and a cd 3000 stall what would be the next cam up power wise from summit to run with.that.spring and rod setup and a little bit bigger stall? I'm 1hr from summit so that.would work great.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Lingenfelter uses ls6 springs on .580 lift cams..
Old 11-08-2013, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ls1prayer
Oh yea I was looking at some bt stuff and his prices are good. I might need to just pick up the springs and rods from him then save for a decent stall. If I did go with the bt stuff and a cd 3000 stall what would be the next cam up power wise from summit to run with.that.spring and rod setup and a little bit bigger stall? I'm 1hr from summit so that.would work great.
You could always go bigger o the cam, but over and over I see the small cams put up numbers that are as good as the bigger ones at the track.

One guy on here went from a 212/218 with his cd3000 converter to a TR220, and his times didnt improve at all... he enjoyed driving with the 212/218 much more. He has since gone to a 370, but kept a small cam to make it an absolute beast down low. Don't get sucked into a cam thats too big for what you really want out of your truck...

Quick Reply: biggest cam possible on ls6 springs 5.3