PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Anyone run these Magnaflows? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/anyone-run-these-magnaflows-99593/)

Hit Man X 09-10-2003 07:05 PM

Anyone run these Magnaflows?

Okay I am looking for a fairly loud growl at WOT and cruising but NO DRONE! I don't think I can stress that enough. I hate chambered mufflers that do this! :mad:

Here are what I am looking at and what I figure:
Each 3" Center In/Center Out

4x9x14 - Loudest
4x9x18 - Loud
5x8x14 - Mellow
5x8x18 - Mellower
5x8x24 - Quiet
5x11x22 - Quietest

I will be blowing through cats if that makes a difference or not. At some point this truck will be getting a set of The Other Guys headers too. This will be run with a set of 2.5" tailpipes with no tips, just hanging tipped down by the bumper... a la Lincoln TownCar. I have a big ass Magnaflow on the F-150 but it is currently dumped so I dunno the sound of it with tailpipes sadly. :(

Now for the questions...

none of those listed above will drone will they?
if the above holds true regarding the drone, what case would work best?

Thanks! :pimp:

FILE 09-10-2003 07:14 PM

Re: Anyone run these Magnaflows?

I don't know what you mean by drone but I currently have the 5x11x22 - Quietest and it rocks. Itw almost as quaet as stock untill you flor it. And even then its not very loud. On my 01 I had a dual set up with the 5x8x14's and it also rocked. very mellow at idle and crusing speeds and kind of loud when floored.

Hit Man X 09-10-2003 07:25 PM

I don't know what you mean by drone but I currently have the 5x11x22 - Quietest and it rocks. Itw almost as quaet as stock untill you flor it. And even then its not very loud. On my 01 I had a dual set up with the 5x8x14's and it also rocked. very mellow at idle and crusing speeds and kind of loud when floored.

Have you ever ridden in a vehicle that has a non-DeltaFlow Flowmaster? There is this hard-core resonation that occurs at highway speeds with them due to their design. It is very, very annoying and makes my head hurt after a short while.

I have a 40 Series Delta Flow on the truck now (single 3"/dual 2.5" out) and I have the tailpipes poking down right by the spare tire (not dumped just short) and the sound is nice and quiet on the freeway and fairly loud at WOT. I like how it does that but I dunno if it can be duplicated.

I need a tad more WOT volume basically without being intrusive in the cabin.

Did the 5x8x14's have any noticable freeway sound that ever got annoying?

Hemi Killer 09-10-2003 10:45 PM

Before my current set-up, I had 2 delta-flow 40 series Flowmasters, magnaflow x-pipe, and 2 big 4inx22in tips run straight out the back. It was real nice! Deep mellow sound while cruising and loud as hell at WOT. Everyone that heard my truck said it was the best sounding newer model they ever heard! I hope my dynomax are the same if not better when I get the tips put back on. Got them dumped right now, they're alot louder than the flowmasters were dumped. They just annoy the hell out of me on the highway right now. Sorry for the long post!

2003Silvyrado 09-10-2003 11:52 PM

There is no drone with Magnaflows or Dynomaxes or other such mufflers, at least no drone like what you have with Flowmasters. Basically all you get when cruising is a slight rumble.

They do make some odd vibrations at certain rpms, I've only experienced this at startup, when its cold everything rumbles in the truck.

Basically if you want an exhaust with a rumble then get the magnaflows.

As far as loud, the bigger and heavier the muffler, the quieter its gonna be.

CashDudeHomie 09-11-2003 12:13 AM

Hey man I just put straight pipe where the muffler was and it sounds better than my Magnaflow or Flowmaster ever did and cheaper too. :hump: It is not annoying in the cab either. In my opinion, the big chrome 3.5 and 4 inch tips are a big cause of the droning sounds so I went with small tips. I think a Magnaflow or no muffler would sound good as long as you dont use big tips.

ThunderZ28 09-11-2003 06:16 AM

i got two 2 chamber flows set up on my truck. cant hear them going down the freeway at cruising speed. come to think of it i cant hear nothing over the radio :angel:
except when i get on it and then the baby roars. :devil: :devil:

FILE 09-11-2003 06:25 AM

Have you ever ridden in a vehicle that has a non-DeltaFlow Flowmaster? There is this hard-core resonation that occurs at highway speeds with them due to their design. It is very, very annoying and makes my head hurt after a short while.

I have a 40 Series Delta Flow on the truck now (single 3"/dual 2.5" out) and I have the tailpipes poking down right by the spare tire (not dumped just short) and the sound is nice and quiet on the freeway and fairly loud at WOT. I like how it does that but I dunno if it can be duplicated.

I need a tad more WOT volume basically without being intrusive in the cabin.

Did the 5x8x14's have any noticable freeway sound that ever got annoying?

Nope, none had any interior resonance.

Hit Man X 09-11-2003 04:36 PM

So any of the muffler sizes I listed will not resonate/drone on the freeway? They basically effect the part throttle and WOT sounds?

FILE 09-11-2003 05:01 PM

So any of the muffler sizes I listed will not resonate/drone on the freeway? They basically effect the part throttle and WOT sounds?

I have a couple of friends who have Magnaflow and none resonate. If you want it real loud, thend these mufflers are not for you.