PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   Another muffler question. (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/another-muffler-question-504409/)

custm2500 07-08-2012 09:42 AM

Another muffler question.

I was looking at the dynomax VT muffler.
Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Dynomax VT™ Muffler

It has a door that is sprun so under high flow it will open and work as a free flow muffler but when under less throttle it closes and offers some more noise reduction. This is going on my Tahoe and I always have the family in it. I am looking for a touch of performance, sound when I want it, but still be fairly close to quiet when I am just driving the family around town.

Has anyone tried this muffler yet? It is build from stainless so that is a good place to start.

JoeGibbSilverado 07-08-2012 09:44 AM

Ive heard it rattles like hell...lol

custm2500 07-08-2012 09:53 AM

Hearsay or you heard one rattling? Wonder if it is the flapper making noise or a shitty install?

I like the idea of the higher back pressure/ lower noise till you open it up. If you notice it is the way mufflers are starting to be built. My buddies "12 CBR has a servo operated muffler flap.

outlawz2004 07-08-2012 10:02 AM

Everyone I have heard that installed one hated them because of the rattling. I had to laugh when someone like yourself makes a comment about a shitty install, you are the king of shitty installs.

custm2500 07-08-2012 10:40 AM

That is me! Glad I can make you giggle.

silver-mod-o 07-08-2012 10:56 AM

how can a shitty install cause something INSIDE the muffler to rattle... sounds like you need to do some more research on the muffler you like so much...

1FastBrick 07-08-2012 11:09 AM

The fact that it has to be made to withstand heat moisture and pressure and has to made economically in order to make a profit can't be a good thing.

I am not surprised to hear it rattles.

outlawz2004 07-08-2012 11:40 AM

I like the concept of it, but the execution seems to be lacking a little.

custm2500 07-08-2012 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o (Post 4952144)
how can a shitty install cause something INSIDE the muffler to rattle... sounds like you need to do some more research on the muffler you like so much...

I was asking about a shitty install because the muffler might not have been rattling. If a pipe was too close to frame or a hanger/clamp wasn't tight. That is why I asked if it was hearsay or first hand knowledge.

My other thought is doing a cut out. I could either leave it straight pipe or add this or a differant muffler. That way I can have 100% stock untill I find a muffler I like if I dont like the cut out open.

custm2500 07-08-2012 06:27 PM

I did some research and found someone with one of these on a dodge caliber(awesome car for sure!). Guy liked it at first but within a month the "clanking" noise of the flap opening and closing got worse and worse. His solution was my second consideration, cutout with an electric valve. I think I will do this and like I said if I want it quieter then straight pipe I will add a muffler down the road.