PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   A4 - > M6 Swap COMPLETE!! NBS truck. (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/a4-m6-swap-complete-nbs-truck-236068/)

retsell 11-07-2004 11:25 PM

A4 - > M6 Swap COMPLETE!! NBS truck.

Done. :)

The swap went fairly well (so far :)) Tranny obviously bolted right up, had to rewire the reverse lights, neutral safety, and VSS. The A4 crossmember had to have some serious modification, but I got it to work. The driveshaft worked, I had to move the carrier bearing back about .5" (extended cab). The shifter fell right under my cup holder area. I made a custom stick using an 8" section of 1" bent square tubing and a lou's short stick (I think). The shifter is a hurst. I ordered a pro 5.0 in hopes of the through being shorter cause the shifter bumps both sides of the cup holder opening. I had to take the console back out because of it not going all the way into 1st and 3rd. Hopefully the pro 5.0 will fix that. Clutch pedal and slave was no big deal. I used the slave cylinder from an 02 corvette, and the master from an 02 chevy truck. I removed the hard line from the 02 truck master and replaced it with a camaro hydraulic line. I bench blead the master and clicked the 2 together, no bleeding on the truck.

The truck is surging pretty hard under 75-90% accelleration, I think it is due to PCM tuning since I don't have the new one from allen yet. I have 17 trouble codes, ABS light comes on, Brake light comes on, and my speedo is off by about 50%.

BTW Spec 3 chatters like a BITCH! Not very street friendly.

Yelo 11-07-2004 11:29 PM

COOL !!!!!

I've REALLY considered doing this swap over the last few years, can you do a write-up on it when you have the time/ambition ??

Flyer 11-07-2004 11:36 PM

I was thinking about this, and was ready to do that when I put the 80e in my truck. The clutch issues I was reading about weren't somethin g I wanted to deal with though. There is a line of clutches, that if you slip them, even a little, they are toast. Other's chattter like a SOB, and that isn't something you want in a heavy truck.

Sounds awsome though. I'm glad someone finally did it.

O3GMC 11-08-2004 10:15 AM

man, you're hard core :hail:

retsell 11-08-2004 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Yelo
COOL !!!!!

I've REALLY considered doing this swap over the last few years, can you do a write-up on it when you have the time/ambition ??

One of these days.... :)

retsell 11-08-2004 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by O3GMC
man, you're hard core :hail:

Sure....if you say so. :)

Sport Side 11-08-2004 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by retsell
Sure....if you say so. :)

:lol: i agree with 03

:hail:

retsell 11-08-2004 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
:lol: i agree with 03

:hail:

You guys crack me up. Funny, I bought the truck b/c I figured with it being just a truck I wouldn't f*ck with it.,..... right.

1TRUESS 11-09-2004 01:40 AM

Your an ASS! :jest: I just started my swap yesterday. I need some pics!

What pedels did you use? I am going to PM you a lot. That is a fair warning!

retsell 11-09-2004 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by 1TRUESS
Your an ASS! :jest: I just started my swap yesterday. I need some pics!

What pedels did you use? I am going to PM you a lot. That is a fair warning!

I bought the clutch pedal assym. from an 02 5 speed truck. I don't have many pics, just a couple of the clutch. Make it easy on yourself and find a crossmember from a 5 speed truck, supposedly it will bolt right up. I had to hack the shit out of my a4 crossmember.