Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 454 TBI P30 non-ferrous brass particulate in oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 454 TBI P30 non-ferrous brass particulate in oil

Hello All,

Mechanic here from AZ requesting feedback from members with good knowledge of engine internals construction.
I have discussed this issue with other mechanics and am also posting here requesting assistance on forming a correct diagnosis.

Vehicle is a 1990 Bounder motorhome on a Chevy P30 chassis. Low miles at 50K. Always been babied with LOF's every 3K. Low reving, very few warm up cycles at it is usually driven distances.

Last oil change I spotted a bright shimmer in the oil as I was pouring it into the waste oil tank.
cut open the filter to look for debris, but found nothing at all. But could see brass/bronze non ferrous micro particulate in the oil.

Finished LOF with new filter and Mobil1 10W-40 as per usual (live in AZ gets hot here)
Drove the unit for approx 200miles on a trip and drained the oil into an oil catch container.
I could see brass/bronze particulate in the pan -not much but it was there - but then, I had only driven 200 miles.
Strained the oil with a shop cone type disposable straining filter - nothing in the filter.
The brass/bronze particulate is so fine it is not being caught in the strainer.

Which brings me to the question I need assistance with....

What wearing components in a 1990 454 were manufactured from brass/bronze and could be responsible for what I'm finding in the oil?

Assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty certain I've found the problem early enough to remedy, just need assistance to diagnose correctly prior to removal of engine from the motorhome (Not looking for ward to that &#128565 and possible stripdown.

I have also posted this question on another Chevy forum.

Thank you in advance, if there is more information you require that I have neglected to include, ask away!

CelticJack.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Distributor gear?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike, thanks for the input.
That was also one of my first thoughts so I pulled the distributor to check the worm gear, unfortunately it is not made from brass.

CelticJack