Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is a 383 stroker kit in a 5.3L gen 4 a bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 383 stroker kit in a 5.3L gen 4 a bad Idea?

Hi guys,
This is my first post here. BTW I really like what I'm reading here. I have a 2008 Sierra with vin J 5.3L ly5 engine. I'm looking into doing a DOD delete because I'm getting a lifter tap every now and then and it consumes oil. I'm also looking for more torque for the occasional camper pulling. I was thinking about doing a 383 stroker kit with a mild cam upgrade but have been warned about piston skirt wear with 4 inch stroke cranks. Has anybody done a 383 stroker build? Could a 6.0l block be installed with my stock heads and intake?
Old 08-14-2017, 01:09 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

The 4" crank debate in a stock block has been and will continue forever. There have been many cases of poorly assembled and misused applications with 4" cranks that have ultimately resulted in worn out pistons........then the results are posted and 500 readers (who have never had such an engine) then regurgitating info that 4" crank set ups are garbage.

Now, if you do a search and can weed out some of the bullshit.....you will realize that there have been success stories. It all comes down to properly prepping the block and pistons for the intended use.

Don't get me wrong. A 4" crank probably does not belong in you daily driver that gets 30000 miles a year with the intention of driving it for 5 years.

That said, a hot rod truck that is streetable and sees dome drag race use with good maintenance.......can certainly benefit from the added cubes.

Personally, in a truck that sees limited mileage (doing cruise ins and minimal street driving) and is set up for primarily for track use.....I wouldn't hesitate even doing a 4.100" crankshaft.
The following users liked this post:
5.3oilchugger (08-16-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
The 4" crank debate in a stock block has been and will continue forever. There have been many cases of poorly assembled and misused applications with 4" cranks that have ultimately resulted in worn out pistons........then the results are posted and 500 readers (who have never had such an engine) then regurgitating info that 4" crank set ups are garbage.

Now, if you do a search and can weed out some of the bullshit.....you will realize that there have been success stories. It all comes down to properly prepping the block and pistons for the intended use.

Don't get me wrong. A 4" crank probably does not belong in you daily driver that gets 30000 miles a year with the intention of driving it for 5 years.

That said, a hot rod truck that is streetable and sees dome drag race use with good maintenance.......can certainly benefit from the added cubes.

Personally, in a truck that sees limited mileage (doing cruise ins and minimal street driving) and is set up for primarily for track use.....I wouldn't hesitate even doing a 4.100" crankshaft.
Well said...I'm on my second Stroker thanks to less than reasonable street driving habits and I just like 'em. I DD the latest version a couple days a week and take it as easy as I can given the truck just seems to attract jack-asses who want to test her off the line. I drove the **** out of the first motor and got 50k out of it before I pulled it. It's all in how you build it, treat it, and maintain it.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I have a forged 383 in my truck. The short block was built by scoggin dickey. Its my daily and sees about 200 mi a week. I love it.
The following 2 users liked this post by terravast4:
5.3oilchugger (08-16-2017), strutaeng (10-08-2023)
Old 08-14-2017, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terravast4
I have a forged 383 in my truck. The short block was built by scoggin dickey. Its my daily and sees about 200 mi a week. I love it.
How's that stroker doing under boost? About to ProCharge my new build.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

It pulls like a ************. And sounds like a beast. Everyone asks if i got a big block. Haha
Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terravast4
It pulls like a ************. And sounds like a beast. Everyone asks if i got a big block. Haha
Yeah - even my N/A stroker gets a lot of notice - she's a nasty sounding beast with plenty of torque for a small block - a fun motor, no doubt.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes a gen iv 6.0 (ly6) would work very will with the top end off your 5.3.

Not going to make the same power as the stoker, of course. But maybe a better option for daily/reliability.

Queue the "sloppy mechanic did this..." bullshit
The following users liked this post:
5.3oilchugger (08-16-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 06:21 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

This is our "first post" also!

We like either way. It really depends on BUDGET. If you can afford the machine work and stroker kit DO IT. If youd rather stay on a budget you CAN build an alum 5.7 and make a little more power while keeping the budget good.

We offer s full variety of rebuild kits for either
1 deleting dod adding cam
2 deleting dod adding cam and changing pistons/bore
3 full on stroker kit

Either of those we offer with all the parts for the best prices out there and fast free shipping.

The only diff between doing a reg 5.3l rebuild and a 5.7 build is the cost of machine work. Pistons, rings gaskets are all same price.

$620 for a complete kit (not including a few dod delete parts)
$320 for a complete gasket kit
Dod delete kits run $340-360 shipped depending on what you want to replace
Some parts overlap so a complete gasket kit plus dod delete is cheaper than 320 + 340.

Our cam kits start at $515 for cam and springs $585 for cam springs and pushrods and go up from there!!

We can get you a price on stroker kits as well!! They usually start at 2450 and go up.

Hope that helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPMSpeed Tech:
5.3oilchugger (08-16-2017), Choda (09-19-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMSpeed Tech
This is our "first post" also!

We like either way. It really depends on BUDGET. If you can afford the machine work and stroker kit DO IT. If youd rather stay on a budget you CAN build an alum 5.7 and make a little more power while keeping the budget good.

We offer s full variety of rebuild kits for either
1 deleting dod adding cam
2 deleting dod adding cam and changing pistons/bore
3 full on stroker kit

Either of those we offer with all the parts for the best prices out there and fast free shipping.

The only diff between doing a reg 5.3l rebuild and a 5.7 build is the cost of machine work. Pistons, rings gaskets are all same price.

$620 for a complete kit (not including a few dod delete parts)
$320 for a complete gasket kit
Dod delete kits run $340-360 shipped depending on what you want to replace
Some parts overlap so a complete gasket kit plus dod delete is cheaper than 320 + 340.

Our cam kits start at $515 for cam and springs $585 for cam springs and pushrods and go up from there!!

We can get you a price on stroker kits as well!! They usually start at 2450 and go up.

Hope that helps.
As of now I'm looking for a low milage LY6 6.0 bottom end. I'd like to put my Gen4 5.3L 243 heads and intake on it with a cam and spring upgrade. This will be a DD and a camper puller. I'm looking for torque.