Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

3" quiet true duals

Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I had some 2" mandrel and a v bend left over from a waste gate project, so I but a J pipe/ hemholtz of about 39" on the Tahoe with the 6.2 muffler and dyno max bullet. I feel like it helped, but I have limited experience with that setup on the highway before the J pipe.

My G8 with AFM and no J pipes droned baaaaad in V4 mode, so I genuinely think J pipes help.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept the Pro-Flo muffler just in case I can't fix the drone but I'm going to have J-pipes installed. I was thinking since it's dual in dual out, I'd make a J-tube on each outlet pipe for different frequencies. I simplified the equation for length that you find online and included the conversion to inches. It's 50639.79 / RPM = L in inches. Mine resonates between 1800 and 2200 rpm the worst. I'm considering a 28" pipe and a 23" pipe. I should have that done next week.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I had some 2" mandrel and a v bend left over from a waste gate project, so I but a J pipe/ hemholtz of about 39" on the Tahoe with the 6.2 muffler and dyno max bullet. I feel like it helped, but I have limited experience with that setup on the highway before the J pipe.

My G8 with AFM and no J pipes droned baaaaad in V4 mode, so I genuinely think J pipes help.
That 39" pipe would be reducing most of the drone at about 1300 rpm. I bet you cruise higher than that. It might work better if you shorten it a bit.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

It doesnt drone. Not the Tahoe at least. G8 is long gone, by like 4 yrs, I hope the next owner figured it out lol

Thanks for doing the math on that! I'll investigate shortening it when I do the Magnaflow swap
Old 01-21-2019, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 6.0L with longtubes , no cats with dual 3 inch exhaust, I have 2 12" bullet mufflers followed by 2 12589 magnaflow mufflers, no drone almost too quiet but was the only way I was able to eliminate drone.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

I finally got that Flo-Pro 2500 installed. THe shop misunderstood me and left both tailpipes on. At Idle it only flows from 1 pipe but under acceleration it flows from both. It's as quiet as a mouse. It definitely cost me some top end power but it feels plenty strong driving around. I'll probably even install a smaller cam to get more low end torque and put the 3.42s back in and just drive it. Anyway, I just thought I'd post the results since I started the thread. I'm happy with the quiet but sad that it's less of a hot rod now. Wifey will be happy to ride in it now so that's good.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Talked to a buddy about this recently and he finally ended up stacking 2 magnaflows back to back to get it right. Be near impossible on yours and 4 mufflers would be expensive.

I've also always been a big fan of installing resonators when things are a little out of control.

You never mentioned if the cats helped any..?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

The cats made a very small difference in the sound and seem to have eliminated the fuel smell once warmed up. I also raised the truck a few inches and that made a bit of a difference but the drone at highway speed was still way too bad. Now, I can hear the lifters. If I put a smaller cam in, It'll be a total sleeper.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by axekick
The cats made a very small difference in the sound and seem to have eliminated the fuel smell once warmed up. I also raised the truck a few inches and that made a bit of a difference but the drone at highway speed was still way too bad. Now, I can hear the lifters. If I put a smaller cam in, It'll be a total sleeper.
Thanks for the feedback. Cats and resonators usually do a pretty good job at helping with drone and rasp. But there's only so much they can do.

Cam size isn't usually the noise maker, it's the lobe profile or the setup. Either way going to a smaller cam sounds sad man, don't do that lol
Old 02-14-2019, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Either way going to a smaller cam sounds sad man, don't do that lol
I know, I might or might not. I like the idea of having some torque below 2000 rpm. With my manual transmission I could really use that. The cool thing about having the 5 speed is that I can use the higher RPM torque instead if I want to and now with this muffler, it doesn't sound offensive to the whole neighborhood if I rev it out a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3" quiet true duals