PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   08 silverado 5.3 mods (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/08-silverado-5-3-mods-448176/)

brad1231 09-15-2009 06:21 AM

08 silverado 5.3 mods

Hey guys, I have a few questions. I'm trying to plan out some mods for my truck, and like everyone else in the world am on a budget. I would like to do all the easy bolt on stuff first, to see what kinds of gains I'll get, and then get more in depth later, if I feel the need to. So, I have 2 questions.

First, I have a cat back flowmast 40 series dual (not true duals) on it already. What kind of gains can be expected with a custom tune, headers, and a CAI?

And second, I have some things I got from a guy that swears will work on my truck. I got a set of 241 heads, and some brand new roller rockers (comp, I think). I know I have to mill the 241's to make them work right, but are the gains even worth the trouble, or am I better off just buying some 5.3 performance heads later?

I don't plan on taking the truck to the track or anything like that. Its a daily driver that travels around 75 miles a day, give or take. I just want a quick truck thats dependable, but still fun to drive.

Oh, and I have a full Zex N20 kit that I might throw on. Anyone have any ideas how big of a shot I can safely go with without hurting the motor or tranny?

brad1231 09-15-2009 06:54 AM

Yes, I have read the "stickies"

Just thought I should let everyone know, I have read the stickies, and gotten a lot of good info from them. What I'm looking for is what has worked for you guys. I'm not looking for a high RPM screamer, but rather I nice torquey motor. And I guess I should have added its an extended cab 4x4, with the active fuel managment, if that even really matters.
Thanks in advance, Brad

brad1231 09-16-2009 03:06 PM

WOW! NO help, huh? You can almost hear a pin drop in here.

GMCtrk 09-16-2009 03:13 PM

tune, headers, and CAI should net 30-40 rwhp.

Jeteys5.3 09-16-2009 04:47 PM

be careful on the trans throwing bolt on's plus nitrous on it. For the trans, do the vette servo, sonnax super hold 4th servo and a transgo jr shift kit. That should help it!

Otherwise, LT's, custom tune, and a mild cam.

2007chevy5.3l 09-16-2009 04:56 PM

Save the head swap, 07+ either have 799 or 243 castings which are good heads. If you want to do anything to them just port em

brad1231 09-16-2009 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeteys5.3 (Post 4290237)
be careful on the trans throwing bolt on's plus nitrous on it. For the trans, do the vette servo, sonnax super hold 4th servo and a transgo jr shift kit. That should help it!

Otherwise, LT's, custom tune, and a mild cam.

Ya, I was worried about the tranny. I think I'll just see if I can sell the nitrous kit, and stick with some bolt ons for now. I just got off the phone with the guy a wheatley's tune, and I think I'm gonna go that route, along with some headers and a CAI for now. Maybe a cam to come. I hear its a pain in the a** to put a cam in the 08s and 09s though....something about the active fuel managment.

brad1231 09-16-2009 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2007chevy5.3l (Post 4290243)
Save the head swap, 07+ either have 799 or 243 castings which are good heads. If you want to do anything to them just port em

I just went and checked, and have the 799 castings, so it looks like I've also got some 241 heads for sale. What do you guys think about throwing that set of roller rockers in there? They're A) brand new and B) free. I don't see a down side to it, but you guys are the experts.

Wheatley 09-16-2009 05:34 PM

IMO,in your case i would stay with the stock rockers!!They are pretty good from the factory IMO.
If you need anything just let me know
Thanks again
Wheatley

brad1231 09-16-2009 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wheatley (Post 4290270)
IMO,in your case i would stay with the stock rockers!!They are pretty good from the factory IMO.
If you need anything just let me know
Thanks again
Wheatley

Thanks man! I'm trying to set up a good time be without a truck for a few days to send you my PCM. Normally I would just ride my Harley, but I've got a blown shoulder right now, so thats out of the question. Maybe around the first part of October.