Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Why does everybody like the 4L80e over the 4L60e???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duntov1967
It is often not mentioned that in many cases a different pcm is required. In my case I had to switch to a Denali pcm to be compatible with the 80E.
I have never heard of this before. Can you discuss this a little more?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've swapped probably a dozen 80E's into vehicles previously running 60E's. Never had to change a PCM, a segment swap in your current tune is all you need...

Yes, a 80E can break. Anything can. But look at the internals of the two and fluid charts and how they operate and you will quickly understand why an 80E lives where a 60E won't.

OP, rebuild your 60E if you want but you'd be doing yourself a favor by swapping to a solid 80E now. Chances are you can buy a trans and the few swap parts for what a built to the sky 60E would run. I had 1200 in my swap, rebuild and all... You also said the other key word... 'Turbo'.... No need in even considering a 60E if that's a possibility. There wouldn't be so many people telling you to make the swap if it wasn't a good idea.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:45 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, when I ran a 60E, and had no problems. You may have not set yours up properly. Cooling, fluids and especially tuning of the trans in the pcm are critical.
I started my series of 60e headaches with a RPM LVL V II built trans , had to have the 3-4 clutches replace in it twice, didn't last , Then used my stock trans case and swapped all hard parts over and new clutches again , it also burned thru 3-4 clutches Twice. ! Tuning done by one of the best , ( tunes a 6.50 sec twin turbo LSx car BTW, trans builder also very reputable who has built built many 60e's . My trans were setup perfect,Also had tru-cool 40k.

Yes, a 4L80E is stronger but he doesn't need one until later. I have done the conversion and yes it is a pain in the *** and costly especially when you add the cost of re-gearing and a programer tune. It is often not mentioned that in many cases a different pcm is required. In my case I had to switch to a Denali pcm to be compatible with the 80E.why waste money rebuilding a60e when it can/should be done swapping in the proper trans that will last ?
Swapping in an 80 e is not hard at all , and you don't need to swap a PCM I don't know who told you that but it's false , as said only a segment swap needs reflashed , it's not hard . And why do you need to re-gear ? There is no need for that either just due to a trans swap.

I currently run a built 4L80e with my 416 and a 2.9L Whipple and make monster torque. I still miss the 1-2 gears of the 60E. They do make lower 1-2 gears for the 80E but they are not cheap.How much power were you making with your 60e ? Do you actually drive it hard ? Lots of people baby the 60e with power, My truck with 562rwhp at that time hated 60's .The first gear in the. 80e is way better suited to a blown vehicle , First and second gear in my truck with a. 60e was Useless, just ended blowing the tires off , 60e gears are great for a burnout contest

Anything can break including the 80E and in stock vehicles. Done it many times. Never put a unknown used tranny in without going through it completely. Otherwise you are throwing good money after bad.
i agree make sure your starting off with a good new or used unit

I mean no disrespect mr. Duntov , but I can't and won't reccomend a 60e in a truck/ SUV to anyone . I hate to see the OP waste time money not doing right once and be done .
Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Well, when I ran a 60E, and had no problems. You may have not set yours up properly. Cooling, fluids and especially tuning of the trans in the pcm are critical.

Yes, a 4L80E is stronger but he doesn't need one until later. I have done the conversion and yes it is a pain in the *** and costly especially when you add the cost of re-gearing and a programer tune. It is often not mentioned that in many cases a different pcm is required. In my case I had to switch to a Denali pcm to be compatible with the 80E.

I currently run a built 4L80e with my 416 and a 2.9L Whipple and make monster torque. I still miss the 1-2 gears of the 60E. They do make lower 1-2 gears for the 80E but they are not cheap.

Anything can break including the 80E and in stock vehicles. Done it many times. Never put a unknown used tranny in without going through it completely. Otherwise you are throwing good money after bad.
Also not sure what the reason for the PCM switch is, especially since a Denali never came with a 4l80e.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:25 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't you need to add a speed sensor wire to the PCM? Yet alone redo the trans lines because the newer 97+ 80e are not by each other-

I have a built 60e and love it- but I know it's a matter of time- I did a upgrade from a flt4 to flt5 at 8000 miles and my 3-4 clutches showed signs of wear- so they replaced them- and that was N/A with cam in a 2wd ecsb. 3200 stall

Now I'm boosting 8psi I'm Leary of it lasting long
Old 10-23-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, a 4L80E is stronger but he doesn't need one until later. I have done the conversion and yes it is a pain in the *** and costly especially when you add the cost of re-gearing and a programer tune. It is often not mentioned that in many cases a different pcm is required. In my case I had to switch to a Denali pcm to be compatible with the 80E.

I currently run a built 4L80e with my 416 and a 2.9L Whipple and make monster torque. I still miss the 1-2 gears of the 60E. They do make lower 1-2 gears for the 80E but they are not cheap.

Do they make a higher 4th gear? the 60e is .7 and 80e .75 ratio I believe. I would love to stick some 4.10s or 4.56 in the truck and have a .6ish for highway cruising.

Called a junk yard and they have a 05 80e with 72K on it and want $900 but would take $850
Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with yall on spending the money on the 80e now to do it right, vs spending the money on a 60e for it to break later when I go turbo
Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
Don't you need to add a speed sensor wire to the PCM? Yet alone redo the trans lines because the newer 97+ 80e are not by each other-

I have a built 60e and love it- but I know it's a matter of time- I did a upgrade from a flt4 to flt5 at 8000 miles and my 3-4 clutches showed signs of wear- so they replaced them- and that was N/A with cam in a 2wd ecsb. 3200 stall

Now I'm boosting 8psi I'm Leary of it lasting long
Older 80E's have both fluid ports at the front. Or you can buy a line extension if the one port is in the middle, forgot who sells it. Wiring is a matter of switching a couple wires at the connector and adding the front speed sensor. There are two unused wires when switching from 60E to 80E. You can run the front speed sensor through these wires and switch them at the PCM.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Older 80E's have both fluid ports at the front. Or you can buy a line extension if the one port is in the middle, forgot who sells it. Wiring is a matter of switching a couple wires at the connector and adding the front speed sensor. There are two unused wires when switching from 60E to 80E. You can run the front speed sensor through these wires and switch them at the PCM.
Yep and yep, as for the wiring there are stickies in the drivetrain section with the info including the above mentioned way as that's how mine is.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Thanks guys for the info. looks like I'll be investing in the 80. This is a great site with the lot of smart people who know their ****.

Quick Reply: Why does everybody like the 4L80e over the 4L60e???