PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   who rebuilt a 4l80e them selfs? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/who-rebuilt-4l80e-them-selfs-554528/)

stroker87 01-12-2019 11:02 AM

who rebuilt a 4l80e them selfs?

so trans is acting up not a good sign when im a few weeks away from putting a h/c/i lq4 :mad:

so being its just after Christmas, paying the machine shop & still needing some little stuff for the engine but budget is in the RED

so i never been inside a trans, assembled engines, completed lsx swaps & suspension work so i know my way around a little not a pro tho, im looking to find out how hard is it? im very intimidated by the 500 parts i wont lie lol

so did you rebuilt yours?
was you successful?
where did you get parts from and what upgrades?

madmann26 01-12-2019 12:09 PM

I haven’t but there are plenty of good YouTube videos out there.

The biggest thing is checking the clearances.

stroker87 01-12-2019 12:17 PM

i been watching but things like the direction of the seals, pistons, clearance spec's and the valve body heave my head spinning

MaroonMonsterLS1 01-14-2019 07:15 AM

Buy an ATSG manual and get all the info you need

if you've watched youtube video and your head is still spinning...then watch again or give it to someone that knows what they're doing

stroker87 01-14-2019 09:20 AM

yeah i have to get my hands on a manual and go over it a few times, i been watching vids and reading stuff online feeling a little better about ripping in to it

im still 50/50 on do it i want to since i never been in one

stroker87 01-16-2019 07:17 PM

what brands or kits would be good to use?

Jake75 01-16-2019 07:51 PM

I was going to rebuild mine..until i took it apart and compared all the parts in the rebuild kit to the stuff i took out. There were a bunch of seals that i couldn't see that needed replaced. Somewhere in my build there i have a pic of all the hard parts laid out in the order i came out. I did everything on my truck but the trans is one thing i will not do or attempt again.

stroker87 01-17-2019 12:50 AM

yeah i must of watched about 6 hours of vids the last few days to see what im up against i think with every thing online and a good repair manual i might just pull it off so now just need to figure out what kit to go with

also seen online how to make a trans holder out of my engine stand for less then probably $30 & how to get around not having all the specialty tools that will be a big help

MaroonMonsterLS1 01-17-2019 07:24 AM

jakes performance for the 80e kit.
Has a good matched set of parts. parts proven to work together well.
Also comes with shift kit instructions and can come with a manual also.

IMO best/most complete kit out there currently

stroker87 01-17-2019 11:42 AM

jakes performance starts @ $825 for the stage ll kit thats not in the budget and i dont think its needed for the power im looking to make 380/400ish

from what i found online the "80" is rated for up to 8,000 pound vehicle and up to 450 ft pounds of torque so a stock rebuilt would work but id like "some" stuff upgraded like the clutches for sure and probably a HD2 shift kit