PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Wheel Bearing? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/wheel-bearing-413039/)

03-03-2008 09:28 PM

Wheel Bearing?

I recently started hearing alot of whining coming from the front of my truck, its not the passenger seat I removed the wife. My truck is a 99 Silverado with a Rancho 4" lift and 20's.

I thought maybe it was my breaks they were about due any how. I replaced those, it didn't go away. I tried to see if my bearings were going out spinning it made no noise with no breaks with no weight on the wheels. Then grabbing it at 6 & 12, I felt nothing. It's getting louder, at slower speeds it sounds like its getting something is grinding almost. Its pissing me off anyone get something like that?

One more question I may just replace the wheel hub assy. What size socket is it I need to remove that axle nut. I have a 34mm from my C5 but its too small go figure.

Wide Open 03-03-2008 10:09 PM

I believe the hub assembly's are 36mm. How many miles? It could be the hubs or the bearings in the front diff or u-joints.

03-04-2008 12:09 AM

The truck has 171xxx miles, most of those miles by me. Never been changed for all I know. I have to really look at it alittle closer. I had surgery so I cannot do too much. But something is getting worse. I use the hell out of this truck. Surprised nothing else has happened. Unlike my damn car. But will not make noise unless its the front is in motion with the weight on it. So it makes it hard to chase. Thanks. Now gotta find a 36mm.

RandomHero 03-04-2008 12:12 AM

Just replace the hub assembly. I bought one for my girlfriend's tahoe(same idea as our silverados) and it cost me $87 shipped. They don't sell wheel bearings for our trucks(to my knowledge) and even if they did, it would be a pain in the ass to change them.

03-04-2008 09:03 AM

Thanks guys. I checked it over this morning. Feeling alittle better since surgery so I felt like looking into it really quick. The squeek is coming from between my output shaft of the transfer case and my u joints. I think its still good, sounds like it just needs grease. I jacked up the front and rear onto jacks and put it in drive first, and the squeek was easy to find without it even being in 4wd. I just gotta figure how to either grease it or replace it. Hopefully I can just grease this bastered. ANyone else run into this?

oldred95 03-04-2008 12:11 PM

So its a U joint squeaking? Since they are non greasable you have to replace it. Also you should check your hub bearings even if they weren't the origin of the noise. They are notorious for going out, not so bad on the half tons because they weigh less and typically don't get beat on as hard but it still happens. My roomates all but came apart on him last night with 70k on it. It had been squeaking for a week but he kept putting it off checking it for play. And yes its a 36 mm deep impact socket to get the nut off the CV. Pretty sure autozone has a the socket. I was looking at it the other day and its something like 16 bucks. About 30-40 from mac or snap on.

03-04-2008 01:01 PM

I figured it out. I checked my wheel hubs when i rotate my tires normally since i run such big tires. I checked them again to make sure it was not them when I changed my brakes. It turned out to be one of the rear U joints (front D/S 3rd U joint back). I greased it and it went away. With the lift i have and the auto 4WD you have to change the front D/S. When I did that I installed aftermarket u joints with grease fittings. I pulled the D/S to verify the noise, and sure enough that was it. I inspected the u joints they are in good shape, i just rotated them since all it was was alittle dry. Cleaned, insepcted, greased and all is good now. I am confidant they are still good. This truck has given me zero issues really. With almost 200,000 miles its been a good truck. That squeek was just driving me nuts. Been working on the camaro so much the truck kinda took a back seat. Thanks guys. I will probably change the hubs later down the road if i do not sell it before then.

03-18-2008 09:37 AM

Well just to give you guys an update as maybe someone else find this issue out. My u joints were good. But the squeek came back. Turns out to be the CV joint in my driveshaft. With my truck having auto 4wd you have ot replace the drive shaft. I havea d/s from superlift that uses a CV joint. I had to tear the CV down and clean it up and lube it as the bearing was sticking. After removing it I went ahead and replaced all the u joint while I had it apart anyway. They are not stock u joints. Go figure. And you cannot find a replacement cv for it. I am sure you can but I had a hard time finding it since i did not have the PN. A new Superlift d/s is listed at 600, but I found some on sale at some 4x4 shops for around 370. All in all it cost me new u joints and abotu 5 hrs of work to get rid of a damn squeek. Better now then my CV failing.