Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

What is a good upgrade for brakes without a big brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 14" powerslot kit I can sell you for $350 shipped. Brand new, comes with 14" slotted rotors and relocation brackets.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
I have the 14" powerslot kit I can sell you for $350 shipped. Brand new, comes with 14" slotted rotors and relocation brackets.
so this is basically bigger rotors for the front, along with brackets to relocate the stock calipers? im guessing you just get some new pads then as well?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

Originally Posted by 1Bear
Does your Tahoe have the single or dual piston rear calipers? If it has the singles, you could perform a swap to the dual piston units as per this thread: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=467040

Also for a little more help, you could also swap to the larger '05 and up rotors, calipers and brackets from a rear drum brake equipped truck. Whether you picked up good used parts or new parts from a parts store, at least you could have decent stoping power with OEM quality and ease of replacement.

I also recommend the Hydro-Boost swap as well and when combined with the above parts and a decent set of ceramic pads, should give you the most stopping power you could hope for while using stock type components. I actually think it should work pretty darned well, all things being equal.
I agree /\ /\ /\
I have 05 front calipers, the stock C3/Tahoe dual piston rear calipers, Hawk pads, powerslot rotors, Goodridge lines and hydroboost swap. This truck will stop on a dime on 22s.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

05 front rotors & calipers and you have 13" rotors then

2000-2004.5 had about 12" front rotors
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya i have the dual piston rear calipers...

like i said, since im in college i dont have a grand to drop on brakes for the truck..everything ive done to it was basically paid for by selling my bagged truck..ill be back on stock wheels here in a few months for the winter so i should be able to get by until spring...the tax return should help out then and i can find something..

ill look into some 05 rotors and calipers for the front..that may be a cheaper route for me..i know you can get loaded calipers for a decent price..
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know it’s hard to do working with a pretty tight budget, and while I would probably go with the loaded caliper’s for reliabilities sake, you could spend some time in the local salvage yards and get by pretty reasonably. Of course it helps if you have decent yards that handle newer model vehicles and not basically rotting iron. We have that issue here; the little local yards don’t have the resources available to keep their yards full of newer models. Yards located in the Houston area have the best selection for us down here.

On a side note; you said you’re going back to your winter wheels & tires shortly, what size are they. One of the issues created by going with larger brakes, I.E. larger rotors and calipers is usually the stock wheels may no longer fit. Even the factory ’05 + rotors and calipers require at minimum a 17” wheel. If you plan to keep the ability to swap wheels yearly, you may want to look into the hydro-boost upgrade 1st and hope it does everything that you’re looking to accomplish. It's just something else to think about when selecting parts.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Where's the Beef?

Hydroboost is the cheapest route to take assuming your SUV doesn't already have it.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good point on the wheel size..they are 16s..but ive been needing a reason to step up to some decent winter wheels lol..by next winter i should have something for winter, or even something i can run year round..

i dont think i have a hydroboost...

i mean my brakes arnt bad, i can lock them up if i really stomp on them, but there isnt much of a inbetween..when i first got it and put the wheels on, i could stop great..but i can notice they stocks are wearing so i just basically want to replace/upgrade just a little bit..god knows when the prev owner changed brakes and im sure they are the lowest quality out there
Old 08-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Where's the Beef?

I put some cheap brake pads on the front of mine and it made a hell of a difference over worn pads.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:16 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

someone explain hydroboost to me. i cant even get my ABS to kick in now days no matter how hard i dig into the brakes. my pads are good, my rotors are within spec, and i blead my brakes. i can still get the peddle to the ground. im thinking some braided lines and hydroboost may fix me.

Quick Reply: What is a good upgrade for brakes without a big brake kit?