Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

What is a good upgrade for brakes without a big brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good upgrade for brakes without a big brake kit?

Im wanting some new brakes on the tahoe..rotors from and rear and pads...I dont want to drop the coin on a baer kit or anything, just some stock stuff but upgraded. I was looking at EBC but that was pretty expensive anyway..

What about something like this powerslot kit? 130 for the front discs drilled/slotted and pads..im not wanting to spend over $350...any recommendations out there?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWR-BK8640X785C/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SS...1019/?rtype=10
Old 08-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

hydroboost. /thread
Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put on some EBC blanks and EBC Ultimax pads on the front today, the rears were backordered for my truck. I'll let you know how I like the front. The total bill for my 03 was $355 for all 4 rotors & pads
Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I did the powerslots/hawks and SS lines first, and tho I noticed an improvement it wasnt phenomenal...what type of driving u do? If ur looking for something to really put the boots to, then save ur coins until u can do it right - trust me, its the best upgrade I did other than the blower! I can stop like a Vette now...I thot I saw a Baer kit in the classifieds?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im just looking for anything better then stock..the pads and rotors will have to be replaced in the spring at the very latest..with the 24s i just want something better then stock...i cant really drop a grand on brakes at this point with school and all..it stops fine as it is with 4 wheel discs, im just wanting something better and a little better looking then the stock rusty ****
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Get some rotor paint and upgrade the pads only for now. You dont want to risk life and limb to save some $$. When you do get those $1000 brakes ( i would def. shop around ) you will be glad you did.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

If you are running 24" wheels I think your only option is to pay the cash....that is a lot of wheel to stop on a heavy ride. I warped my stock rotors on 20" rims. Save your cach and get a good setup.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Atomic
hydroboost. /thread
Agreed.

I put discs on the rear of my 95 and used Summit drilled and slotted rotors for it. I still have stock rotors up front for now. Rear discs with a NBS HD master cylinder and vacuum boost actually made the brakes worse until I put hydroboost on it then it was pure bliss. The brakes work flawlessly and will introduce your face to the windshield with a quick stab of the brake pedal if you don't wear your safety belt. It has no problem locking all four down until the ABS kicks on.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nickleahy23
im just looking for anything better then stock..the pads and rotors will have to be replaced in the spring at the very latest..with the 24s i just want something better then stock...i cant really drop a grand on brakes at this point with school and all..it stops fine as it is with 4 wheel discs, im just wanting something better and a little better looking then the stock rusty ****
Does your Tahoe have the single or dual piston rear calipers? If it has the singles, you could perform a swap to the dual piston units as per this thread: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=467040

Also for a little more help, you could also swap to the larger '05 and up rotors, calipers and brackets from a rear drum brake equipped truck. Whether you picked up good used parts or new parts from a parts store, at least you could have decent stoping power with OEM quality and ease of replacement.

I also recommend the Hydro-Boost swap as well and when combined with the above parts and a decent set of ceramic pads, should give you the most stopping power you could hope for while using stock type components. I actually think it should work pretty darned well, all things being equal.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Have you looked at the SSBC big brake kit?? comes with 14" rotors and caliper relocation brackets, then grab a set of Hawk ceramic or LTS pads then in the future add a hydroboost set-up and hold on.

Quick Reply: What is a good upgrade for brakes without a big brake kit?